Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moynihan Train Hall [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:58 pm

Was there for the first time this past Saturday/Sunday. It's a night/day experience from the hell that is Penn Station. Clean bathrooms, a bar! with ample seating, natural light.

That said, we went down and boarded from the West End Concourse. One note for future readers - the train was at least 3 car lengths beyond the stairs that dump you on the tracks from the WEC. Took a second to realize that.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:43 pm

Things have been rearranged a bit at the food area of the lounge, the popcorn and beverages (including coffee) are now off to the side and self-serve. Some new menu items have been added to the prepared foods, among them an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich and caprese salad on skewers. I had literally five minutes before my train was announced so couldn't take time to check it out or take pictures but I think it's a good move to have some things you can take yourself.

Also, they announced my train early and one of the escalators was open and unattended so people just started heading down to the platform. I overheard a redcap complaining about it on his radio ("you let people down? you're killing us here!") so it seems like this was an exception and not a new rule.
wxguy and rittenhousesq like this.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by musicalbox
Things have been rearranged a bit at the food area of the lounge, the popcorn and beverages (including coffee) are now off to the side and self-serve. Some new menu items have been added to the prepared foods, among them an egg and cheese breakfast sandwich and caprese salad on skewers. I had literally five minutes before my train was announced so couldn't take time to check it out or take pictures but I think it's a good move to have some things you can take yourself.
I'll be spending time in the lounge this coming Wednesday May 4th, so I'll be sure to snap a few photos and share here.
beltway, wxguy, zephyr17 and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Metropolitan lounge update (5/4/22)

Here are the promised photos of the minor changes to the food and beverage area of the Metropolitan Lounge. Basically, one area adjacent to the bar has been opened up and now available for self serve is the flavored water, iced tea, assorted chips, candy and coffee. All the other food items and the bottled soft drinks are still served to you.
The omnipresent Francis was manning the bar as he has been for every one of my visits since they began offering alcoholic beverages. I asked him if he has a cot set up in the back and he said he does work the majority of the shifts, with part of the weekend and Monday as his time off.
Sorry, that date should read 5/4/22

schriste and dhammer53 like this.

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; May 5, 2022 at 7:06 pm Reason: error in date
Old May 5, 2022, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the updated photos!

I fixed the date in the thread title.
rittenhousesq likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Love this lounge. Much better than 95% of hotel lounges in the states. Maybe even 99%.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
New lounge is fantastic, but they need to bring back the track pre-announcements like they used to have at the old Penn. The ability to beat the rush to the track and get early seats was a huge benefit that they have not carried over for some reason. At my visit last week, my first notice of the track was happening to see if post on screen. As we got our stuff together to leave, we finally heard a loudspeaker announcement as we were going down the elevator, a good 2-3 minutes (at least) after the track was posted for all to see.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
New lounge is fantastic, but they need to bring back the track pre-announcements like they used to have at the old Penn. The ability to beat the rush to the track and get early seats was a huge benefit that they have not carried over for some reason. At my visit last week, my first notice of the track was happening to see if post on screen. As we got our stuff together to leave, we finally heard a loudspeaker announcement as we were going down the elevator, a good 2-3 minutes (at least) after the track was posted for all to see.
Yes this is true. When my 6PM Acela was announced and I arrived at the escalator for the track, the line was already massively long, but those of us in first class simply lingered in the front near the top of the escalator, and after the agent verified we were in first class, we were let down before anyone else.
Overall, since more seating is pre-assigned these days, I don't worry as much about getting down to the train early.
Daze likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Yes this is true. When my 6PM Acela was announced and I arrived at the escalator for the track, the line was already massively long, but those of us in first class simply lingered in the front near the top of the escalator, and after the agent verified we were in first class, we were let down before anyone else.
Overall, since more seating is pre-assigned these days, I don't worry as much about getting down to the train early.
Yeah, it is no big deal for the Acela anymore. But for the NER or Keystone there is no assigned seating. Especially when traveling with a companion, your only chance to find 2 seats together is to get down early.
beltway likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:43 pm

Our track was announced early today (3pm southbound Acela) but there was already a long line. I think people figure it out. I got on it but it turned out the bend went the other way and I and a few folks in front and behind me were out of luck. Rather than get back on further back, I went though the downstairs hallway - it helped that it was Track 15 right near the stairs - and got right on. Yes I had an assigned seat but that line is just ridiculous.

As I've mentioned before, when I do coach on the Regional I just board at Penn Station. You can always beat the Moynihan crowd.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Here are the promised photos of the minor changes to the food and beverage area of the Metropolitan Lounge. Basically, one area adjacent to the bar has been opened up and now available for self serve is the flavored water, iced tea, assorted chips, candy and coffee. All the other food items and the bottled soft drinks are still served to you.
The omnipresent Francis was manning the bar as he has been for every one of my visits since they began offering alcoholic beverages. I asked him if he has a cot set up in the back and he said he does work the majority of the shifts, with part of the weekend and Monday as his time off.
Sorry, that date should read 5/4/22

Francis is the best!
Old May 9, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Is Francis the bearded gentleman in the picture? I know he's been here since beginning. What about the young thin African American who has been around since the beginning also? He always have a big smile and very helpful. I wish they have name tags (unless i missed them).
Old May 9, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Is Francis the bearded gentleman in the picture? I know he's been here since beginning. What about the young thin African American who has been around since the beginning also? He always have a big smile and very helpful. I wish they have name tags (unless i missed them).
Yes that is Francis with the beard and he was wearing a name tag

Last edited by rittenhousesq; May 9, 2022 at 8:51 pm
Old May 9, 2022, 9:24 pm

I see now, they do have name tags. My eyes are not the best without my eye glasses
Old May 15, 2022, 5:50 am

Is Red Cap service still available, and are those using the service still among the first to board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.