Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empire Service/vineyard tour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Empire Service/vineyard tour

I will be in NY in November. Heard of some vineyards in the Hudson Valley but not sure if I can get there taking the Empire Service without a car. Anybody have suggestions?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
I will be in NY in November. Heard of some vineyards in the Hudson Valley but not sure if I can get there taking the Empire Service without a car. Anybody have suggestions?
For wine touring in the Hudson Valley, you'll need to rent a car in either Poughkeepsie or Kingston NY Amtrak stops. According to Mapquest,, Poughkeepsie is closer. I'm not sure about car rental agencies in the area. The area is very drivable on the back roads. Besides wineries, there are cute small towns such as Hyde Park and Rhinebeack (both on Route 9).

Your other option is Uber/Lyft, which would be expensive.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

dh
Old Sep 22, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I think only Albany has car rental counters inside the station. The others would require carshare or taxi from the train station to the rental car location. If you are originating in NYC it might be easier to rent a car from there (if coming from NYC also consider Metro North over Amtrak for greater flexibility / lower cost.)
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
For wine touring in the Hudson Valley, you'll need to rent a car in either Poughkeepsie or Kingston NY Amtrak stops. According to Mapquest,, Poughkeepsie is closer. I'm not sure about car rental agencies in the area. The area is very drivable on the back roads. Besides wineries, there are cute small towns such as Hyde Park and Rhinebeack (both on Route 9).

Your other option is Uber/Lyft, which would be expensive.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

dh
I don't believe that there is Amtrak service to Kingston, NY, as it is on the west bank of the Hudson River. The Amtrak stations south of Albany/Ren are all on the east bank of the river.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Rhinebeck (across the Hudson) would be the AMTK station for Kingston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.