Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Overheard: Monthly pass/multi-ride may will require reservations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

When I was in the Acela lounge at NYP this week the reps at the counter were discussing how very soon monthly passes and multirides will require reservations and they will need to be at least 14 days before day of travel. The reason given was that Amtrak needs to keep track of "how many bodies" are on each train (you can already see this calculated on the reservation page). Obviously I have no confirmation of this but considering the source, I feel like it must be true.

For me personally, this is a dealbreaker, as I usually get a multiride for the flexibility, when I need to decide that day when I will travel. OTOH, I can't see the next time I'll be traveling often enough to need one.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 9:59 am

Oooh, that’s not good. Already debating the wisdom of returning to my commute in October given the reduced schedule. Can’t say this would help.

I can see Amtrak’s desire to monitor usage of monthlies while during this stage. But this makes the idea of a pass completely useless.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I don't know when this appeared but I see they now have this and it's called Ride Reserve.

https://www.amtrak.com/deals-discoun...e-reserve.html
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA1K
RideReserve started a couple weeks ago. If you were a previous pass holder, you should have received some e-mails announcing the new program. Even the Amtrak app has been updated for you to make your ride reservations. A new button shows up on your multi-ride ticket. I am not aware of any 14-day advance requirement, though. That would defeat the purpose of a multi-ride pass.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:37 am
Original Poster

I used to get a few passes a year but received no emails. Just saw it yesterday when I went to modify a trip (the regular O/W kind). Glad to hear there's no 14 day requirement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.