Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Acela Business Class Assigned Seating

Acela Business Class Assigned Seating

Old Jan 17, 21, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by JoeRids View Post
Has anyone had experience with the new 2 person to a table system? I was wondering if, since the Acela train is bi-directional, the seat diagram that shows the direction of travel can be relied upon. So, my thought is even though it shows your seat to be facing forward, you could in fact be facing backwards.
The seat maps correctly show the direction of travel. But for now, since ridership is so light, it's highly unlikely there will be a second "single" sitting across from you, and you are then free to move across the table to face forwards if you wish.
Old Jan 19, 21, 7:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, UA Gold, Wyndham Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by JoeRids View Post
Has anyone had experience with the new 2 person to a table system? I was wondering if, since the Acela train is bi-directional, the seat diagram that shows the direction of travel can be relied upon. So, my thought is even though it shows your seat to be facing forward, you could in fact be facing backwards.
Welcome to FT. I have ridden the Acela after the change to allow a second person to the table system. I have asked multiple conductors as to why Amtrak opened up the second seat and largely it is due to demand of couples wanting to sit together. Don't worry about the seat direction, I have yet to encounter this. (northbound has the First class car last and the southbound the First class car first). Given all the precautions Amtrak is taking due to the pandemic, its unlikely some last minute sub is made without a full cleaning of the trainset.
Old Jan 21, 21, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater View Post
Welcome to FT. I have ridden the Acela after the change to allow a second person to the table system. I have asked multiple conductors as to why Amtrak opened up the second seat and largely it is due to demand of couples wanting to sit together. Don't worry about the seat direction, I have yet to encounter this. (northbound has the First class car last and the southbound the First class car first). Given all the precautions Amtrak is taking due to the pandemic, its unlikely some last minute sub is made without a full cleaning of the trainset.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is it really the case that "northbound has the First class car last and the southbound the First class car first"? Prior to March 2020, I have seen it about 50/50 whether departing or arriving at WAS (and have only traveled a few times since then), so wonder if Amtrak is now doing this standardization of the location of the First class car the same way on all the Acelas?
Old Jan 21, 21, 6:08 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, UA Gold, Wyndham Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is it really the case that "northbound has the First class car last and the southbound the First class car first"? Prior to March 2020, I have seen it about 50/50 whether departing or arriving at WAS (and have only traveled a few times since then), so wonder if Amtrak is now doing this standardization of the location of the First class car the same way on all the Acelas?
For the past several months, I have yet to see it the other way around. Given the limited schedule, I think this is why. Will be interested to see if this remains post pandemic.
Old Jan 21, 21, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I am pretty sure Acela has always been this way. Or at least for the last few years. When you board at Union station, the first car you walk by is always first class. So as the train heads north, it is the last car.

I like it this way. I take the TGV often in France and you never know which end will have first class. It should be the shortest walk from the station, but it often is not.
Old Jan 21, 21, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Noticed these decals have been added to Track 1 at BBY recently (and they're even aligned correctly to where the doors are!):

Although it seems that most people on my train didn't notice them everyone was waiting at the front of the platform (i.e. where the escalators are) and ended up walking back past the locomotive and first and the quiet car...
I this at PVD yesterday. Found it very helpful!
Old Jan 22, 21, 2:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I am pretty sure Acela has always been this way. Or at least for the last few years. When you board at Union station, the first car you walk by is always first class. So as the train heads north, it is the last car.

I like it this way. I take the TGV often in France and you never know which end will have first class. It should be the shortest walk from the station, but it often is not.
This is definitely incorrect, and first class & quiet car historically have been either on the north or south end of the train. There was some degree of regularity on which end for particular train numbers, but even this was not absolute.
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Jan 22, 21, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
This is definitely incorrect, and first class & quiet car historically have been either on the north or south end of the train. There was some degree of regularity on which end for particular train numbers, but even this was not absolute.
Well I guess I can only authoritatively say it has been this way every time I've taken Acela from Union station, but that is probably only about 25 times in the last year.
Old Jan 22, 21, 6:31 pm

Yes -- that's the point, as of 2020, with reduced service, Amtrak is now doing the Acelas in a consistent way, as opposed to the previous schedule (prior to March 2020) where it was 50:50 as to whether the first class car would be at the front or at the end.
Old Jan 24, 21, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yes -- that's the point, as of 2020, with reduced service, Amtrak is now doing the Acelas in a consistent way, as opposed to the previous schedule (prior to March 2020) where it was 50:50 as to whether the first class car would be at the front or at the end.
And with the previous schedule, it wasn't random 50:50, but rather a pretty good (but not perfect) regularity as to which trains on the schedule were oriented in which direction.
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 25, 21, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, Bonvoy Plat Life, Amtrak S+, HH, DL, B6, MR
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
And with the previous schedule, it wasn't random 50:50, but rather a pretty good (but not perfect) regularity as to which trains on the schedule were oriented in which direction.
I seem to recall that even before COVID-19 was even a thing they announced that they were making this change. I know I was quite annoyed, because for years the first class car was the last car on my usual morning train to NYC and there was always plenty of room in the first car of the train, and then it all changed and it became a full-contact sport to try to get a seat. Of course this was all before assigned seating in business class. Now with assigned seating this all seems so much more civilized.
AndyPatterson and wxguy like this.
Old Mar 14, 21, 6:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, OZ Diamond Plus
Noticed these decals have been added to Track 1 at BBY recently (and they're even aligned correctly to where the doors are!):

Although it seems that most people on my train didn't notice them everyone was waiting at the front of the platform (i.e. where the escalators are) and ended up walking back past the locomotive and first and the quiet car...
Decals have now been removed from BBY (although you can see where they used to be, which I guess is somewhat helpful), but remain at RTE and PVD:

And as always everyone was waiting at the front of the train (i.e. at the first class / quiet cars) so huge scramble to walk down the platform when the Acela arrived (especially since by default seats aren't assigned in the quiet car, so it's usually the emptiest car now)
Old Mar 14, 21, 10:20 pm

I noticed that last week that the decals were missing BBY. The boarding process at BBY is a mess, even when they had the decals!
Old Mar 15, 21, 9:22 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Longboater View Post
I noticed that last week that the decals were missing BBY. The boarding process at BBY is a mess, even when they had the decals!
Yeah I guess most people don't take the Acela frequently enough to know that first class and the quiet car are the closest to the escalators / Dartmouth St and so they need to walk down the platform. But also BBY is very much optimized for anyone who's in first / the quiet car, since going both north and southbound they're the closest to the station building/exit
Old Mar 15, 21, 11:15 am

Yeah I guess most people don't take the Acela frequently enough to know that first class and the quiet car are the closest to the escalators / Dartmouth St and so they need to walk down the platform. But also BBY is very much optimized for anyone who's in first / the quiet car, since going both north and southbound they're the closest to the station building/exit
Getting on the Acela at BBY last week, this was first time getting on at BBY incidentally as I prefer BOS but tried it out for once, but it was a mad house with boarding coupled with a delayed Northeast Regional that had yet to depart South Station. Several of those who got on the quiet car, where I was seated, had no clue seats were now assigned, including someone who was already in my assigned seat. Let's just say the demographics were not of the typical Acela riders of pre-March 2020. Given the mess that was BBY, I am going to be avoiding BBY from now on.

Search this Thread