Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Air Filtration on Long-Distance Trains?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Any intelligence on this topic? I'd like to travel cross-country in a sleeping car. I can clean surfaces and am not concerned about the packaged meals, but what about air recirculation? You're on there for two to three days.

Thanks....
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Explore
Any intelligence on this topic? I'd like to travel cross-country in a sleeping car. I can clean surfaces and am not concerned about the packaged meals, but what about air recirculation? You're on there for two to three days.

Thanks....
Sleeping car rooms have a few vents in the walls, blowing air at various speeds. I assume that the air is from outside, but I don't know.

The Flexible Dining breakfasts are awful.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Sleeping car rooms have a few vents in the walls, blowing air at various speeds. I assume that the air is from outside, but I don't know.

The Flexible Dining breakfasts are awful.
I do not know for sure either, but as far as I know, most HVAC systems recirculate air... it would just be too inefficient to pull in 100% hot (or freezing) air from the outside. I imagine they use an air filter... but no idea of quality.

Update: Found a post of an internal Amtrak Q&A regarding Covid-19:

Q37. The air filters on our trains -- can they be changed at the origin, turn around points and the end points? A37. Charlie King, VP, Chief Mechanical Officer: Amtrak’s HVAC equipment is not designed with filtration systems that can use HEPA filters to trap virus size molecules.

Update 8/18/20: Amtrak website now says: Air Quality: All of our trains are equipped with onboard filtration systems with a fresh air exchange rate every 4-5 minutes.

Last edited by schriste; Aug 18, 2020 at 2:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.