Any changes to Acela First Class?

Old Jun 1, 20, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Any changes to Acela First Class?

Anyone taken Acela F since the resumption today? Are there changes to amenities/service levels? I saw speculation on a blog that meal service would be a cold boxed meal.
Old Jun 7, 20, 11:50 am
Original Poster

So here’s my experience from this week.

Union Station sad, eerie, and desolate. Almost everything closed. Lights low. Many entrances and entire corridors blocked. Very few passengers.

Club Acela all to my own until one other customer arrived. Social distancing markers and plastic shields at front desk.

Acela F had five passengers over the course of my journey. Only two of us boarded at WAS.

Single attendant. She presented a drink menu and stated lunch would be boxed.

Said box had a wood grain look and included napkins, plastic ware, wet naps, Fiji Water, Bare apple chips, Amtrak savory snack mix, Hillshire Genoa salame, white cheddar, and toast rounds small plate, and a small chocolate caramel truffle cup dessert.

Not sure I would upgrade again until things are closer to normal.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jun 7, 20 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 7, 20, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
So here’s my experience from this week.

Union Station sad, eerie, and desolate. Almost everything closed. Lights low. Many entrances and entire corridors blocked. Very few passengers.

Club Acela all to my own until one other customer arrived. Social distancing markers and plastic shields at front desk.

Acela F had five passengers over the course of my journey. Only two of us boarded at WAS.

Single attendant. She presented a drink menu and stated lunch would be boxed.

Said box had a wood grain look and included napkins, plastic ware, wet naps, Fiji Water, Bare apple chips, Amtrak savory snack mix, Hillshire Genoa salame, white cheddar, and toast rounds small plate, and a small chocolate caramel truffle cup dessert.

Not sure I would upgrade again until things are closer to normal.
Were they serving mixed drinks as usual?
Old Jun 7, 20, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Were they serving mixed drinks as usual?
I'm not familiar with their usual alcohol menu, but this one has seven liquors, five beers, unspecified wines (said to ask server), and one sparkling wine.

The non-alcoholic drinks seem no different than before - coffee, juices, sodas, waters, teas, hot chocolate, ginger ale.

(There is a copy of the drink menu in the boxed lunch.)
Old Jun 7, 20, 6:46 pm

I agree -- not worth the upgrade ... thanks for the report.
Old Jun 8, 20, 12:15 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Sounds like something I might burn an upgrade card for (since I have a pile of those) but otherwise the experience seems to be mainly useful for a quiet ride without much company. I might seriously consider taking the train if I finally hit "stir crazy"...
Old Jun 8, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum; Amtrak Select
I'm not familiar with their usual alcohol menu, but this one has seven liquors, five beers, unspecified wines (said to ask server), and one sparkling wine.

The non-alcoholic drinks seem no different than before - coffee, juices, sodas, waters, teas, hot chocolate, ginger ale.

(There is a copy of the drink menu in the boxed lunch.)
Could you tell if the rest of the train was equally empty? I guess no vegetarian option on the lunch other than skipping the salami?
Old Jun 8, 20, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
Could you tell if the rest of the train was equally empty? I guess no vegetarian option on the lunch other than skipping the salami?
I started watching a movie a few minutes after getting settled, but I'd say based on the few people that passed my window (and the low numbers in the station, in general), the entire train was extremely light.

No option for lunch - other than take it or leave it. Would've preferred a healthier choice. The contents of the box probably totaled 800-1,000 calories.
Old Jun 10, 20, 10:47 am

Programs: Amtrak Select, VIA Preference Preferred, AA LT Gold, IHG Plat, WN, UA

I understand COVID19 situation, but what a stretch to call this "lunch".
Old Jun 13, 20, 4:31 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I follow the logic of COVID food service reductions on the long hauls but why the downgrade on the Acela? Preparation equipment and staff are still there.
Old Jun 14, 20, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
I follow the logic of COVID food service reductions on the long hauls but why the downgrade on the Acela? Preparation equipment and staff are still there.
Agreed. And, at minimum, they could do a sandwich, salad, or hot item from the cafe. Why a box of (mostly) junk food instead?
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Agreed. And, at minimum, they could do a sandwich, salad, or hot item from the cafe. Why a box of (mostly) junk food instead?
This. In fact, even post-coronavirus, I'd prefer they just let you order from the cafe menu. Seems more efficient, and I've found the cafe food to bee marginally better than FC Acela anyway (though this is admittedly splitting hairs; neither are great).
Old Jun 25, 20, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
Could you tell if the rest of the train was equally empty?
I've taken Acela several times since June 1st, and am on it right now. About 25 people leaving WAS towards NYP. But I am in business class so I can't comment on First.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: