Any changes to Acela First Class?

Old Jun 1, 20, 10:13 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 3,025
Any changes to Acela First Class?

Anyone taken Acela F since the resumption today? Are there changes to amenities/service levels? I saw speculation on a blog that meal service would be a cold boxed meal.
vatraveler is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 11:50 am
  #2  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 3,025
So here’s my experience from this week.

Union Station sad, eerie, and desolate. Almost everything closed. Lights low. Many entrances and entire corridors blocked. Very few passengers.

Club Acela all to my own until one other customer arrived. Social distancing markers and plastic shields at front desk.

Acela F had five passengers over the course of my journey. Only two of us boarded at WAS.

Single attendant. She presented a drink menu and stated lunch would be boxed.

Said box had a wood grain look and included napkins, plastic ware, wet naps, Fiji Water, Bare apple chips, Amtrak savory snack mix, Hillshire Genoa salame, white cheddar, and toast rounds small plate, and a small chocolate caramel truffle cup dessert.

Not sure I would upgrade again until things are closer to normal.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jun 7, 20 at 1:40 pm
vatraveler is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 2:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,166
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
So here’s my experience from this week.

Union Station sad, eerie, and desolate. Almost everything closed. Lights low. Many entrances and entire corridors blocked. Very few passengers.

Club Acela all to my own until one other customer arrived. Social distancing markers and plastic shields at front desk.

Acela F had five passengers over the course of my journey. Only two of us boarded at WAS.

Single attendant. She presented a drink menu and stated lunch would be boxed.

Said box had a wood grain look and included napkins, plastic ware, wet naps, Fiji Water, Bare apple chips, Amtrak savory snack mix, Hillshire Genoa salame, white cheddar, and toast rounds small plate, and a small chocolate caramel truffle cup dessert.

Not sure I would upgrade again until things are closer to normal.
Were they serving mixed drinks as usual?
physioprof is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 2:53 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 3,025
Originally Posted by physioprof View Post
Were they serving mixed drinks as usual?
I'm not familiar with their usual alcohol menu, but this one has seven liquors, five beers, unspecified wines (said to ask server), and one sparkling wine.

The non-alcoholic drinks seem no different than before - coffee, juices, sodas, waters, teas, hot chocolate, ginger ale.

(There is a copy of the drink menu in the boxed lunch.)
vatraveler is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 6:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 911
I agree -- not worth the upgrade ... thanks for the report.
AndyPatterson is offline  
Old Jun 8, 20, 12:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Posts: 2,073
Sounds like something I might burn an upgrade card for (since I have a pile of those) but otherwise the experience seems to be mainly useful for a quiet ride without much company. I might seriously consider taking the train if I finally hit "stir crazy"...
GrayAnderson is offline  
Old Jun 8, 20, 5:53 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT/NY
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum; Amtrak Select
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
I'm not familiar with their usual alcohol menu, but this one has seven liquors, five beers, unspecified wines (said to ask server), and one sparkling wine.

The non-alcoholic drinks seem no different than before - coffee, juices, sodas, waters, teas, hot chocolate, ginger ale.

(There is a copy of the drink menu in the boxed lunch.)
Could you tell if the rest of the train was equally empty? I guess no vegetarian option on the lunch other than skipping the salami?
wordsmith is offline  
Old Jun 8, 20, 10:06 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 3,025
Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
Could you tell if the rest of the train was equally empty? I guess no vegetarian option on the lunch other than skipping the salami?
I started watching a movie a few minutes after getting settled, but I'd say based on the few people that passed my window (and the low numbers in the station, in general), the entire train was extremely light.

No option for lunch - other than take it or leave it. Would've preferred a healthier choice. The contents of the box probably totaled 800-1,000 calories.
vatraveler is offline  
Old Jun 10, 20, 10:47 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: Amtrak Select, VIA Preference Preferred, AA LT Gold, IHG Plat, WN, UA
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post

Said box had a wood grain look and included napkins, plastic ware, wet naps, Fiji Water, Bare apple chips, Amtrak savory snack mix, Hillshire Genoa salame, white cheddar, and toast rounds small plate, and a small chocolate caramel truffle cup dessert.
I understand COVID19 situation, but what a stretch to call this "lunch".
Daze is offline  
Old Jun 13, 20, 4:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MSP
Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 2,363
I follow the logic of COVID food service reductions on the long hauls but why the downgrade on the Acela? Preparation equipment and staff are still there.
Exiled in Express is offline  
Old Jun 14, 20, 9:15 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 3,025
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express View Post
I follow the logic of COVID food service reductions on the long hauls but why the downgrade on the Acela? Preparation equipment and staff are still there.
Agreed. And, at minimum, they could do a sandwich, salad, or hot item from the cafe. Why a box of (mostly) junk food instead?
vatraveler is offline  
Old Jun 15, 20, 9:01 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Agreed. And, at minimum, they could do a sandwich, salad, or hot item from the cafe. Why a box of (mostly) junk food instead?
This. In fact, even post-coronavirus, I'd prefer they just let you order from the cafe menu. Seems more efficient, and I've found the cafe food to bee marginally better than FC Acela anyway (though this is admittedly splitting hairs; neither are great).
Mr. BoH is online now  
Old Jun 25, 20, 3:53 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Posts: 32,186
Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
Could you tell if the rest of the train was equally empty?
I've taken Acela several times since June 1st, and am on it right now. About 25 people leaving WAS towards NYP. But I am in business class so I can't comment on First.
stimpy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: