Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus in the US. What would Amtrak do?

Coronavirus in the US. What would Amtrak do?

Old Mar 9, 20, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH View Post
Which is not that surprising, really. I think it only shaved off 15-20 minutes from the trip, so not mich incentive for NYP or WAS passengers to pick the nonstop unless it is at the time they wanted to leave anyway. Whereas missing the chance to transport PHL passengers (and to a lesser extent BAL and WIL) presumably has a material opportunity cost.
Oh, there is a big incentive to take the non-stop. It means that if you have an empty seat next to you, it will stay empty for the entire ride. So you can spread out your materials, devices, food and drink. I always try to take the non-stop.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Oh, there is a big incentive to take the non-stop. It means that if you have an empty seat next to you, it will stay empty for the entire ride. So you can spread out your materials, devices, food and drink. I always try to take the non-stop.
I guess there weren’t enough people like you <shrug>
Old Mar 10, 20, 6:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum; Amtrak Select
Happy to report that I spoke with a very friendly and helpful Amtrak agent today. Given the circumstances, I had to cancel a trip for this month and wasn't in a position to rebook yet. Though the trip was imminent, she refunded all points to my account (one leg) and the entirety of my purchase to my credit card (second leg). Pleased with Amtrak's response and will not hesitate to rebook once things have "settled down" a bit.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 7:56 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Maybe it's a glitch, but I'm not seeing any WAS-NYP Acelas after 2:50 PM next week.
Old Mar 13, 20, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Maybe it's a glitch, but I'm not seeing any WAS-NYP Acelas after 2:50 PM next week.
My Sunday evening northbound Acela on 3/29 was canceled, just got an email tonight. The latest one now listed is 3:27pm (this is from BAL). I have no idea whether I'll still need to take that trip so thinking of just getting an evoucher and if necessary buying a Regional ticket closer to the date.

It makes sense, business trips are essentially nonexistent right now.
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the schedule is getting reduced. Sales are down 50% and trending worse. I'm on Acela right now, the last one out of Boston at 1pm.
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:10 am

Amtrak announcement on the schedule reduction. Source:
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:01 pm

They've reduced further. Not even a full Saturday schedule. There is one NYP-WAS Acela per day.
Old Mar 16, 20, 2:14 pm

Based on my WFH status through at least the end of April, I think I may not make S+ for next year. I wonder if at the end of the year, Amtrak will make some exceptions for those who were close
Old Mar 17, 20, 8:12 am

Programs: Southwest A-List+ due to work. Paid F or Biz for pleasure so not a mileage junkie
Any info on long-distance train schedule changes or cancellations?
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by musicalbox View Post
Based on my WFH status through at least the end of April, I think I may not make S+ for next year. I wonder if at the end of the year, Amtrak will make some exceptions for those who were close
I was thinking the same thing. We're under mandatory 30-day WFH, which may get extended. I was already tracking low towards S+ due to all the sales.
Old Mar 18, 20, 9:57 am

Any anecdotal reports on Amtrak NEC loads? I had to travel this week and opted for DL Shuttle instead due to better scheduling and much faster transit time. There were four passengers on the plane, which meant a pax/crew ratio of 1:1.
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Acela service has been completely suspended.
Old Mar 23, 20, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Wow. Has Amtrak announced anything about extensions of coupons or status? Most airlines and hotel chains have at least said something at this point. Obviously not the most critical thing at this juncture, but I do have some coupons set to expire this month...
Old Mar 24, 20, 10:06 am

While I welcome being proactive, Amtrak is moving some of my Acela reservations to Regionals (although a couple Acelas are still on the schedule on my dates) without an e-mail notification and without taking into account service/fare differences. A first world problem, I know, but it means I will have to call them and tie up resources.

UPDATE: I'm not seeing any bookable Acelas until 5/29.

Last edited by vatraveler; Mar 25, 20 at 6:30 pm Reason: Additional info

Search this Thread
Search Engine: