Motion Sickness: Acela vs Regional

Old Jan 29, 20, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Motion Sickness: Acela vs Regional

I frequently take the Keystone and NE Regional PHL-NYP and find that I can only work ~20 minutes until I get motion sickness. I'm fine if I stop using my laptop.

I'm considering taking the Acela BOS-PHL for an upcoming trip, and am wondering if motion sickness tends to better or worse on the Acela. I'm hoping I can work for at least half of the journey. I have an upgrade to F if that makes any difference. Otherwise I'll probably have to fly.

Does anyone get motion sickness who has taken both the Acela and NER? Which was better?

Last edited by doctor15; Jan 29, 20 at 1:56 pm
Old Jan 29, 20, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Have you tried sitting in an aisle seat near the center of the car facing forward?

Bob H
Old Jan 29, 20, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
The Acela is definitely less ďbumpyĒ than the NER and Keystone. I would expect that helps with motion sickness. Would also suggest a forward facing seat.
Old Jan 29, 20, 3:47 pm

Interesting. I find the Acela bumpier actually. I think it's because of the increased speed. Particularly around PHL-Wilmington-Baltimore.
travelmad478 and hi55us like this.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Have you tried sitting in an aisle seat near the center of the car facing forward?

Bob H
I always sit facing forward but usually window. I haven't thought about where in the car I am. Will try that next time, thanks!
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by doctor15 View Post
I always sit facing forward but usually window. I haven't thought about where in the car I am. Will try that next time, thanks!
Near the front of the train may also be better because of the weight of the engines/ cars behind you.

Bob H
Old Feb 3, 20, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PRO 1MM, BA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
In general, I do not have any trouble with motion sickness - however my stomach gets so upset on the Acela, I had to stop taking it - after leaving DC, if I'm using my laptop I have an upset stomach by the time we get to Baltimore. For my trips to NY I switched back to flying as I couldn't have all of the non-productive time on the Acela. For shorter trips I typically take the Regional now and do not have the motion sickness issue. I have talked to other business travelers who have told me they have the same motion sickness on the Acela.
Old Feb 4, 20, 6:05 pm

No motion sickness here, but I do have to agree that the Acela has gotten bumpier over the past decade -- think they are pushing the trains to higher speeds, but the tracks haven't been upgraded. I used to be able to do a lot of work on the laptop, and that is now less feasible with the bumpier ride.
Old Feb 4, 20, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson View Post
No motion sickness here, but I do have to agree that the Acela has gotten bumpier over the past decade -- think they are pushing the trains to higher speeds, but the tracks haven't been upgraded. I used to be able to do a lot of work on the laptop, and that is now less feasible with the bumpier ride.
There have been a few occasions where I have been walking back to my seat from wherever, gone around a curve, and nearly ended up in someone's lap. One time I almost dumped some coffee on someone. Thankfully I didn't. I just save the $$$, and take the NER now. I can live with the extra 15 minutes it takes me to get from PHL to WAS.

EXCEPT on those unfortunate times (has happened more than once on a Sunday afternoon), we get stuck behind a MARC train going 30 MPH. I don't quite understand how this happens, and it's certainly not scheduled this way.
Old Feb 12, 20, 5:36 am

I get terribly motion sick when trying to work while riding in an automobile, but no issue with the laptop on Acela F 2x / week. F solo seat facing forward definitely will feel the most natural; you can also close the window curtain to eliminate some peripheral motion blur. I generally ride south of PHL since I'm DC based, and there are some bumpy parts, but the northern stretch that you will be on should be smoother.
Old Feb 21, 20, 2:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Iíve been thinking about this thread the last few times Iíve been on the train. Iíve come to the conclusion that while the NE regional is bumpier, it is more of a jerky bump, while the Acela has more of a rolling motion. I could see how the latter would be worse for motion sickness.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: