FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Motion Sickness: Acela vs Regional (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/2006706-motion-sickness-acela-vs-regional.html)

doctor15 Jan 29, 2020 1:27 pm

Motion Sickness: Acela vs Regional

I frequently take the Keystone and NE Regional PHL-NYP and find that I can only work ~20 minutes until I get motion sickness. I'm fine if I stop using my laptop.

I'm considering taking the Acela BOS-PHL for an upcoming trip, and am wondering if motion sickness tends to better or worse on the Acela. I'm hoping I can work for at least half of the journey. I have an upgrade to F if that makes any difference. Otherwise I'll probably have to fly.

Does anyone get motion sickness who has taken both the Acela and NER? Which was better?

BobH Jan 29, 2020 2:05 pm

Have you tried sitting in an aisle seat near the center of the car facing forward?

Bob H

Mr. BoH Jan 29, 2020 3:30 pm

The Acela is definitely less “bumpy” than the NER and Keystone. I would expect that helps with motion sickness. Would also suggest a forward facing seat.

jrich7970 Jan 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Interesting. I find the Acela bumpier actually. I think it's because of the increased speed. Particularly around PHL-Wilmington-Baltimore.

doctor15 Jan 29, 2020 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 32009361)
Have you tried sitting in an aisle seat near the center of the car facing forward?

Bob H

I always sit facing forward but usually window. I haven't thought about where in the car I am. Will try that next time, thanks!

BobH Jan 29, 2020 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by doctor15 (Post 32010152)
I always sit facing forward but usually window. I haven't thought about where in the car I am. Will try that next time, thanks!

Near the front of the train may also be better because of the weight of the engines/ cars behind you.

Bob H

River in Sight Feb 3, 2020 10:01 am

In general, I do not have any trouble with motion sickness - however my stomach gets so upset on the Acela, I had to stop taking it - after leaving DC, if I'm using my laptop I have an upset stomach by the time we get to Baltimore. For my trips to NY I switched back to flying as I couldn't have all of the non-productive time on the Acela. For shorter trips I typically take the Regional now and do not have the motion sickness issue. I have talked to other business travelers who have told me they have the same motion sickness on the Acela.

AndyPatterson Feb 4, 2020 6:05 pm

No motion sickness here, but I do have to agree that the Acela has gotten bumpier over the past decade -- think they are pushing the trains to higher speeds, but the tracks haven't been upgraded. I used to be able to do a lot of work on the laptop, and that is now less feasible with the bumpier ride.

jrich7970 Feb 4, 2020 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 32033457)
No motion sickness here, but I do have to agree that the Acela has gotten bumpier over the past decade -- think they are pushing the trains to higher speeds, but the tracks haven't been upgraded. I used to be able to do a lot of work on the laptop, and that is now less feasible with the bumpier ride.

There have been a few occasions where I have been walking back to my seat from wherever, gone around a curve, and nearly ended up in someone's lap. One time I almost dumped some coffee on someone. Thankfully I didn't. I just save the $$$, and take the NER now. I can live with the extra 15 minutes it takes me to get from PHL to WAS.

EXCEPT on those unfortunate times (has happened more than once on a Sunday afternoon), we get stuck behind a MARC train going 30 MPH. I don't quite understand how this happens, and it's certainly not scheduled this way.

arlflyer Feb 12, 2020 5:36 am

I get terribly motion sick when trying to work while riding in an automobile, but no issue with the laptop on Acela F 2x / week. F solo seat facing forward definitely will feel the most natural; you can also close the window curtain to eliminate some peripheral motion blur. I generally ride south of PHL since I'm DC based, and there are some bumpy parts, but the northern stretch that you will be on should be smoother.

Mr. BoH Feb 21, 2020 2:23 pm

I’ve been thinking about this thread the last few times I’ve been on the train. I’ve come to the conclusion that while the NE regional is bumpier, it is more of a jerky bump, while the Acela has more of a rolling motion. I could see how the latter would be worse for motion sickness.