Changing Amtrak Tickets

Old Nov 30, 19, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Diamond/Marriott Plat
Changing Amtrak Tickets

I have a trip this Monday which I want to postpone due to the weather in the Northeast. I see I can change tickets for fee but if I cancel I only get a credit for 75% of the value. Is there any reason I can't change the ticket to some date way off in the future and then change again when I know the rescheduled date closer in? Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:29 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by TWA Guy View Post
I have a trip this Monday which I want to postpone due to the weather in the Northeast. I see I can change tickets for fee but if I cancel I only get a credit for 75% of the value. Is there any reason I can't change the ticket to some date way off in the future and then change again when I know the rescheduled date closer in? Thanks!
Some of us who travel Amtrak frequently do this type of shuffle all the time. No reason not to do it to avoid fees.
Old Dec 1, 19, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Diamond/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by vatraveler View Post
Some of us who travel Amtrak frequently do this type of shuffle all the time. No reason not to do it to avoid fees.
thanks, appreciate the feedback!
Old Dec 2, 19, 9:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
I think there's a small penalty if you switch dates / shuffle on a ticket paid for with points, am I right? I feel like I did that last month and was told over the phone that a 10% penalty applied to switch dates.
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:32 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by deker0 View Post
I think there's a small penalty if you switch dates / shuffle on a ticket paid for with points, am I right? I feel like I did that last month and was told over the phone that a 10% penalty applied to switch dates.
Only penalty for a change is if new fare is lower in points (penalty hits the amount of points returned). Change to same point value or higher, no penalty (just pay the points difference, if any).
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Only penalty for a change is if new fare is lower in points (penalty hits the amount of points returned). Change to same point value or higher, no penalty (just pay the points difference, if any).
OK, good to know, thanks. I know I ended up giving up additional miles to make the change, but it may have been just the points differential.

Search this Thread