No attendant in first class car

Old Nov 1, 19, 3:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum
Posts: 3,798
No attendant in first class car

So this is a new one. Currently on 2168 (2pm Acela), WAS-NYP, in first class car.

After serving 5 of 10 meals (probably while getting mine together), I hear a yelp and evidently food has gone flying and attendant has burned herself. Everyone is concerned, attendant is thankfully okay, but disembarks in Baltimore to medical personnel, where we take a slight delay. I am fairly sure it was my food that was the culprit so I have some incidental guilt (I almost went with the salad), but things happen.

So then we keep going and after a while the conductor comes on to talk to people in the first class cabin and says he can't cook anything but he can offer a drink (which he's done just fine), cheese plate, or snack mix. The other meals aren't available until new crew comes. At first that was supposed to be Wilmington, then Philly, and now NY (where I'm getting off). So no meal for me (and I'm hungry because I was expecting lunch on the train). And it seems very strange that there would be no provision at all to have a backup in case one of the attendants on the train gets ill or injured. (In the past, I thought there were 2 attendants but maybe they've downsized?)

Anyhow -- Is this the sort of thing where an email sent somewhere would result in a travel voucher or other goodwill compensation? If so, I'll send something in. If not, then not.
platbrownguy is offline  
Old Nov 1, 19, 4:26 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,334
Yes. I would keep the note much, much shorter than above. But, it is entirely reasonable.

Remember that while leaving the F car is generally discouraged, if you were hungry, the cafe car on that run is half-way decent. I suspect that Amtrak would have reimbursed a reasonable meal with a receipt.
platbrownguy likes this.
Often1 is online now  
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 27
You may get something but also understand that today was a bit of a nightmare across the system. Ton of trains including Acelas were delayed or cancelled because of weather beyond NYC. May have been an issue of stresses elsewhere in the network rather than the lack of a contingency.
DailyGrind is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 3,015
In my experience of over a hundred Acela First Class trips, there are always two attendants. So that is the weird thing about this in the first place that there was only one.
physioprof is offline  
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:41 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,334
I've seen only one when the car is lightly loaded. OP says that there were only F10, and that is 20% of capacity.
Often1 is online now  
Old Nov 5, 19, 1:22 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: BOS<>NYC<>BKK
Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Posts: 3,795
Originally Posted by DailyGrind View Post
You may get something but also understand that today was a bit of a nightmare across the system. Ton of trains including Acelas were delayed or cancelled because of weather beyond NYC. May have been an issue of stresses elsewhere in the network rather than the lack of a contingency.
That's correct -- on Nov 1 the first four Acela BOS-WAS were cancelled due to downed trees/wires just south of New Haven. As the early F crews do a BOS-WAS-BOS round-trip, I can understand a shortage out of WAS on later northbound trips.
wxguy is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:07 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
That's correct -- on Nov 1 the first four Acela BOS-WAS were cancelled due to downed trees/wires just south of New Haven. As the early F crews do a BOS-WAS-BOS round-trip, I can understand a shortage out of WAS on later northbound trips.
I think Amtrak would still do something as a way to compensate, but at the same time, I can fully understand that the additional stressors in the system that day must have made for a very challenging operation.
deker0 is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:53 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,513
Originally Posted by deker0 View Post
I think Amtrak would still do something as a way to compensate, but at the same time, I can fully understand that the additional stressors in the system that day must have made for a very challenging operation.
Well if it were an airline we were talking about it would be hours and hours of delays while they moved crews around. Iíll take no dinner and an on time arrival over that any day.
hhdl likes this.
arlflyer is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Well if it were an airline we were talking about it would be hours and hours of delays while they moved crews around. Iíll take no dinner and an on time arrival over that any day.
True, that's a good point. Being on-time beats all other possibilities.
deker0 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread