Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Viewliner Sleeper (Roomette, Bedroom etc.) Accommodations

GUIDE to Viewliner Sleeper (Roomette, Bedroom etc.) Accommodations

Old Sep 10, 19, 10:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow GUIDE to Viewliner Sleeper (Roomette, Bedroom etc.) Accommodations

NOTE: Viewliner trains run in the eastern areas and are one floor due to existing tunnels, etc.

Viewliner Roomette dimensions 3'6" x 6'8" link

Link to FT Viewliner Roomette on Silver Meteor review. Off site review by thread’s OP - link

Capacity: 2 adults (tight) and 1-2 small bags (comfy for one, very cozy for two as sleeper)

Features & Amenities

Meals included except on Silver Star trains (dining car or delivered)
Sink and toilet in room
Showers nearby in same car
Two comfortable seats convert to lower berth 2'4" x 6'6"
Upper bed folds down from above 2'4" x 6'2", own window (accessible with steps)
Two large windows
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Individual reading lights
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Fresh towels and bed linens
Soap and shower amenities
Personal service (bed turn-down, coffee)
Bottled water

Viewliner Bedroom 6’8” x 7’1”, two in each car link

Capacity: 2 adults, 2 adults + 1 child, 3 very cozy adults

Features & Amenities

Meals included (except Silver Star trains)
Space for two passengers (maximum of three, if two travelers share the lower bed)
Private sink, vanity, toilet and shower
Armchair
Sofa converts to lower berth, 3'4" x 6'0"
Upper berth folds down from above, 2'4" x 6'2", own window (access via ladder)
Two large windows
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Bottled water

Viewliner Bedroom Suite consists of Rooms A and B with the divider folded.

Viewliner Accessible Bedroom 6'8" x 7'1", one per car

Capacity: 2 adults, 3 possible sharing berth, wheelchair, 2 suitcases

Features & Amenities

Meals included (except on Silver Star trains)
Space for two passengers (maximum of three, two travelers share the lower bed)
Wheelchair-accessible private sink, toilet and shower
Ample space for a wheelchair
Meals served in Dining Car or attendant will serve in room
Attendant call buttons in bedroom and restroom
Sofa converts to lower berth 3'4" x 6'0"
Upper berth folds down from above 2'4" x 6'2", ladder access, own window
Two large windows
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Bottled water

NOTE: Specific rooms may not be reserved online, so rooms are automatically assigned when your reservation is completed. Your ticket will show your exact car and room number.

Link to cruisemaven.com article on Superliner and Viewliner sleeper accommodations.

Viewliner Sleeping Car schematic from Craig Mashburg.
Attached Images  
Markie, Daze and Maglev like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:58 pm

Great info thank you.

Question for anyone who has experience in both roomette and bedroom on the viewliner. I have a trip coming up and have a bedroom reserved, NY to FL. I've had the bedrooms before on the auto-train so I am familiar with most of the features though I do know these have a higher ceiling and the upper windows. I usually travel with my 2 kids but this trip I will be alone. I've never had the chance to try a roomette so I was considering downgrading my reservation to a roomette. Since I got the reservation so early I would get back roughly 300$ in an e-voucher should I do that, which I would use to potentially book the return ticket, but the money is honestly not a real huge factor in this. In fact, since I booked the bedroom so far out, the next one available jumped over 450$ in price! Anyway, I just wonder if having a roomette would in any way be "better" comfort wise or even just fun/cozy etc. I'm not claustrophobic or anything like that either. Love the privacy these offer for sure. I've always wanted to try a roomette out and think this could be a chance but would love to hear opinions from those that have done both. Again, I'm alone and the toilet in the room is not a bother as I know it can be annoying to some. Giving up the private shower is certainly something for me to consider. I am on the SIlver Meteor BTW which I know is switching to "contemporary meals" on Oct 1 this year, which is kind of a bummer to me.

Any comments/advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:57 am

If you're by yourself a roomette is plenty of space! Unless having a private shower and enclosed bathroom is important to you I'd switch and save the money.
JDiver and drfonta like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, Amtrak, VIA
On the Viewliner roomette If I am alone I ask the attendant to make up the upper bed. This way I can use the potty easily and still sit while the bed is made up. This might be a problem on rough track, but the only time it bothered me was on the Cardinal in Indiana and the car bottomed out so bad I would have woke up anywhere,
I have gotten a few strange reactions from attendants but they’ve never refused my request. Daze
JDiver and drfonta like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For a solo traveler I think a Roomette is fine. The disadvantages are there’s no shower, and if you think you’d rather not use a toilet in your living, breathing and sleeping space you have to use the common loos and possibly have to wait. And of course, less space.

On the other hand some of us don’t love showering in the small compartment that also holds the toilet. Minor issue, but I’ve heard it said.

Daze has a good idea, IMO. The Viewliner upper berths are generally much less claustrophobic feeling than the Superliner upper berths, plus my impression is there’s greater headroom.

To save the money and rededicate it to some sightseeing or a couple of nice meals, I think if solo I’d switch to a Roomette. A #3 or 4 would probably be quieter as it’s between the trucks — I wish we could select online.
drfonta likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:15 pm

Thank you all for the replies! I think I will "downgrade" to the roomette. So looking forward to this trip! Will be interesting to see when/if Amtrak starts running the new Viewliner II sleepers at some point. Lots of chatter on various blogs that Richard Anderson's job is to eventually rid Amtrak of all LD train routes, which I hope is not true or at least never happens. Any of you have opinions on these thoughts?

Last edited by drfonta; Sep 11, 19 at 5:23 pm
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:36 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
In a Roomette, one can sit in bed parallel to the direction of travel and watch the scenery go by. In a Bedroom, the bed is perpendicular to the direction of travel--possibly not as comfortable an orientation for sleeping, and definitely not as good for viewing the scenery.

But this brings up a question--how many pillows can one expect in different types of rooms? In order to sit up in a Roomette bed comfortably, at least four pillows are needed. It seems I usually encounter four pillows in Viewliner Roomettes, but only two in Superliners.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:22 am

It all depends on who setup the room. You can always ask the attendant for more if you need.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Maglev View Post
In a Roomette, one can sit in bed parallel to the direction of travel and watch the scenery go by. In a Bedroom, the bed is perpendicular to the direction of travel--possibly not as comfortable an orientation for sleeping, and definitely not as good for viewing the scenery.

But this brings up a question--how many pillows can one expect in different types of rooms? In order to sit up in a Roomette bed comfortably, at least four pillows are needed. It seems I usually encounter four pillows in Viewliner Roomettes, but only two in Superliners.
Perfect thanks! I do think that for a solo traveler, the roomette could actually be preferred in some ways such as this. I changed my ticket yesterday.
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:14 pm

Thank you! This and the superliner threads should be stickies.
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
NY-VA on Silver Star: just a nice room

I took the Silver Star from NY to Alexandria, VA, in a Viewliner sleeping car, during the day.

It was way better than sitting in a seat: quiet, a desk and very productive time. I'd gladly do it again.

I got no service whatsoever: just 2 bottles of water in the room. Nothing else- not even a hello from the on-board staff, except when boarding.

So it was just a room plus two bottles of water. But still, much better than coach!
drfonta likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
For a solo traveler I think a Roomette is fine. The disadvantages are there’s no shower, and if you think you’d rather not use a toilet in your living, breathing and sleeping space you have to use the common loos and possibly have to wait. And of course, less space.

On the other hand some of us don’t love showering in the small compartment that also holds the toilet. Minor issue, but I’ve heard it said.

Daze has a good idea, IMO. The Viewliner upper berths are generally much less claustrophobic feeling than the Superliner upper berths, plus my impression is there’s greater headroom.

To save the money and rededicate it to some sightseeing or a couple of nice meals, I think if solo I’d switch to a Roomette. A #3 or 4 would probably be quieter as it’s between the trucks — I wish we could select online.
Hey Jdiver, not sure if you saw the latest news but plans are to add the new dining car with "flexible dining" to the Silver Star in 2020. While I will mourn the loss of the traditional dining on the silver route, this is at least an improvement for this particular route. Though I imagine prices for sleeper accommodations will go up in line with the Meteor.

Search this Thread