Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Superliner Sleeper (Roomette, Bedroom etc.) Accommodations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUIDE to Superliner Sleeper (Roomette, Bedroom etc.) Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Arrow GUIDE to Superliner Sleeper (Roomette, Bedroom etc.) Accommodations

Superliner Roomettes (upper and lower floors) are 3'6' X 6'6 and have two reclining seats facing each other, which turn into a bed. Link

Capacity: 2 Adults,1-2 Suitcases (small cases, at night best to use downstairs baggage room)

Amenities & Amenities:
Meals included
Space for one or two passengers
No in-cabin toilet or shower
Restrooms & showers nearby in same car (9:1 ratio)
Two comfortable seats convert to lower berth 2'4" x 6'6"
Upper berth folds down from above, 2'0" x 6'2" (with steps, not ladder)
Large picture window
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Individual reading lights
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Fresh towels and bed linens
Soap and shower amenities
Personal service (bed turn-down, coffee)
Bottled water

Superlinef Bedrooms (upper floor) are 6'6" x 7'6" and have a large sofa facing a soft armchair, a small sink, an in-room combination toilet-shower. Link

Capacity: 2 Adults, 1 child, 1-2 (small) suitcases (can go under the couch daytime, at night most place in armchair, baggage room downstairs is good)

Features & Amenities:
Meals included (dining car or delivered to room)
Space for two passengers (maximum of three, two travelers share the lower bed)
Private sink, vanity, (combination) toilet and shower
Armchair
2 Adult Berths with Ladder for upper berth access
Sofa converts to lower berth, 3'4" x 6'3
Upper berth, 2'4" x 6'2", folds down from above; access with ladder,
Large picture window
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Bottled water
NOTE: A rooms are slightly smaller, but may be quieter as they have a hard wall; B-C and D-E can have the center divider folded to create “Suites” and noise from next door could be more noticeable.

Superliner Bedroom Suite
This is essentially two bedrooms (B-C or D-E) combined with the divider removed.

Superliner Accessible Bedroom 6'9" x 9'5", located on the lower level, designed for one or two passengers and features a wheelchair accessible private toilet and sink. It's furnished with a large sofa and a large window. At night, the sofa converts to a lower bed, and an upper bed folds down from above. Showers are nearby in the same car. Link

Capacity: 2 adults, one wheelchair, 1-2 small suitcases

Amenities:

Meals included
Space for one or two passengers
Wheelchair-accessible private toilet and sink, with privacy curtain
Showers nearby in same car
Ample space for a wheelchair
Meals served in Dining Car or attendant will serve in room
Attendant call buttons in bedroom and restroom
Two comfortable seats convert to a berth; Lower Berth 2'4" x 6'6"
Upper berth folds down from above, Upper Berth with Steps 2'0" x 6'2"
Windows on both sides of room
Available on lower level
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Bottled water

Superliner Family Bedroom (lower floor only, 1 per car) 5’2” x 9’5” across car width. Link

Capacity: 2 adults, 2 children, 2-3 suitcases

2 Adult Berths
Lower Berth 3'4" x 6'3"
Upper Berth 2'4" x 6'2" (access with ladder)
2 Child Berths
Lower Berth 2'3" x 4'9"
Upper Berth 2'0" x 4'7" (access with ladder)

Features & Amenities

Meals included (dining car or delivered)
Space for two adults and two children
No in-cabin toilet or shower
Restrooms & showers nearby in same car
Two comfortable seats convert to a bed
Upper bed folds down from above
Windows on both sides of room
Available on lower level
Electrical outlet
Climate control
Garment rack
Fold-down table
Bottled water

NOTE: Space is assigned when you book. There is no way to book a specific space or seat online.

Superliner cutaways and layout below
Attached Images  
Maglev likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:12 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
The armchair in the Bedroom is not "soft." In fact it has about the hardest cushions I have ever encountered on a chair. Also, the description of the Accessible Bedroom is not correct--the bed arrangement is the same as a Roomette, there is no large sofa; and there are two small windows.
strickerj and MrMattyMatt like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Maglev
The armchair in the Bedroom is not "soft." In fact it has about the hardest cushions I have ever encountered on a chair. Also, the description of the Accessible Bedroom is not correct--the bed arrangement is the same as a Roomette, there is no large sofa; and there are two small windows.
If that’s the seat on the opposite side of the table from the bench seat, I’m not sure I’d even call it an armchair - it’s more like a jumpseat.
SCEflyer and timbeaux like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:21 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I have noticed a couple other errors in the diagram above (they are correct in the description text above the diagram). The upper berth in a Roomette is only two feet wide, and the upper berth in a Bedroom has ladder access.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I am trying to determine which side of the car I'll be on for Coast Starlight leaving Los Angeles. My roomette number is 3. Are the train cars always hitched in the same orientation? If I'm going by the orientation of my recent California Zephyr trip west from Denver in Roomette 2, then my CS roomette is on the non-coastal side.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by boxo
My roomette number is 3. Are the train cars always hitched in the same orientation?
No, they vary. I once heard that the bedrooms are supposed to be on the ocean side, which would put you on the land side, but I have seen them both ways multiple times. Also, it frequently varies by car. In other words, on the same train, some cars have had the bedrooms on the ocean side while other cars had them on the land side. I've enjoyed both sides. If you're on the land side, then you'll be on the inside of the horseshoe curve and on the Grapevine side in the Tehachapi Mountains US-101 side in the Cuesta Pass.
boxo likes this.

Last edited by serpens; Mar 2, 2021 at 7:03 am Reason: make correction noted by Bear96, below
Old Mar 1, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
If you're on the land side, then you'll be on the inside of the horseshoe curve and on the Grapevine side in the Tehachapi Mountains.
Wait, what? The Coast Starlight follows the coast to get out of SoCal. It doesn't go through the Grapevine or Tehachapi - that's the inland route to go north via the San Joaquin Valley.

Are you maybe thinking Cuesta Pass, north of San Luis Obispo, to get into the Salinas Valley?
boxo and dhammer53 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Bear96
Are you maybe thinking Cuesta Pass, north of San Luis Obispo, to get into the Salinas Valley?
You are correct; my mind must have been in some alternate universe.

It is still some nice scenery on the land-side, but definitely not what I had stated. Sorry about that.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
You are correct; my mind must have been in some alternate universe.

It is still some nice scenery on the land-side, but definitely not what I had stated. Sorry about that.
Cuesta Pass is definitely a scenic highlight on that route. (And there is certainly no need to apologize!)

My favorite Coast Starlight stretch though is Redding to Eugene, past Mt. Shasta and through the Willamette Pass down the Willamette Valley. I think the views through that are better overall on the non-coast side of the train (and there are a couple of amazing horseshoe curves descending in to the Valley from the Pass, or climbing if you are southbound) but unfortunately a lot of that can be at night, depending on direction / season / how late it is.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I am trying to determine which side of the car I'll be on for Coast Starlight leaving Los Angeles. My roomette number is 3. Are the train cars always hitched in the same orientation? If I'm going by the orientation of my recent California Zephyr trip west from Denver in Roomette 2, then my CS roomette is on the non-coastal side.
When you board, ask the SCA (sleeping car attendant) if there's a Roomette on the 'better' side that he can switch you to.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I got lucky. My roomette was on the coast side.
Originally Posted by dhammer53
When you board, ask the SCA (sleeping car attendant) if there's a Roomette on the 'better' side that he can switch you to.
My car attendant wasn't very good at attending. She pretty much only came by twice - once for lunch orders and then for dinner orders. But after we left SLO, I asked if I could take video of the horseshoe curve from an empty roomette on the other side and she said I could go to the diner because the rooms are sanitized.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I'm possibly looking at booking a room for 2 adults and 2 kids on the Lake Shore Limited and have a question. The schedule says that family bedrooms are available on this train, but when I actually go to book I only have an option of two roomettes or two bedrooms. Does this mean family rooms are sold out, is there some other way to book a family room, or am I missing something? And if I book two bedrooms this way, does it automatically mean they will be assigned as a bedroom suite or is there something else I have to do? Is the "suite" better than a family bedroom because it has more room and private bathrooms? The ride I'm potentially looking at is only about 6 hours and is during the day, so I don't really care about showers. I just want something more comfortable and private than sitting in seats in coach or business class.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:54 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Lake Shore Limited runs with View liner equipment so no family bedrooms.

I *think* if you call in and for a daytime trip you can book one bedroom for 2 adults and 2 children.

Otherwise, you will need either 2 bedrooms or 2 roomettes.

To make a "suite" they simply remove a panel between the two bedrooms and then its a suite. So, this can happen when you are on the train.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
For a daylight trip, I'd say 2 Roomettes would be fine. My wife and I fit comfortably in 1. If you call you can probably arrange to have them across the aisle from each other.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 13, 2022 at 12:10 pm Reason: LTR beat me to it.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
The Lake Shore Limited runs with View liner equipment so no family bedrooms.
The schedule I'm looking at, as an example, BOS-ALB on 7/26 shows that train 449 offers Family as a class of service, but doesn't show that as a bookable option. Oddly enough the schedule for the return train 448 does not show it.

So this is just a schedule glitch/error then?

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I *think* if you call in and for a daytime trip you can book one bedroom for 2 adults and 2 children.
Thanks, I'll look into that option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.