Baggage for City of New Orleans at Chicago

Old Aug 20, 19, 5:24 am
  #1  
ksu
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,000
Baggage for City of New Orleans at Chicago

In the nineties I made several long-distance trips on Amtrak
(NYP-Montreal-WAS (on the night train) - Crescent to Atlanta, and then on to NOLA, City of New Orleans to Chicago, Lake Shore Ltd (?) to Boston, and then to NYC, A couple of years later CHI-Denver-Salt Lake City.Los Angeles (on a very late-running Desert Wind via Las Vegas) -Lamy/Santa Fe - Chicago, going to summer opera festivals in Central City (Denver) and Santa Fe). I used a pass and all travel was in coach.

Later, I have travelled in the NEC and NYP-Pittsburgh, but I have never travelled in a sleeping car in the US. I'm doing some planning now for our vacation next summer, and we might want to travel Chicago-New Orleans on the City of New Orleans. Departure time seems to be 20.05, arriving New Orleans around 16.00 the next day). We will be arriving O'Hare from abroad around 13.00 on the same day as ou train leaves. We will take the Blue Line to Clinton. We will presumably be at Union Station sometime between 14.00 and 15.00, depending on immigration/customs.

1. Can we check-in our baggage for New Orleans at any time during that day, or do we have to check it in closer to departure?
2. We will do a couple of hours sightseeing and probably get some lunch during the wait. Can we store our carry-on luggage at Union Station?
ksu is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:47 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: DCA
Posts: 221
There is baggage storage for $10 a bag, not sure when the earliest check in time is for checked luggage.

https://chicagounionstation.com/information/faq
ksu likes this.
danib62 is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 7:35 am
  #3  
Moderator, Amtrak
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: EWR :rolleyes:
Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 4,556
You will be able to check in your bags at Chicago union Station any time after 8am on the day of travel. (When the checked luggage counter opens for the day).

As for carry on storage on top of the paid option above you will be able to store your bags in Metropolitan Lounge which you will have access to if you are traveling in a sleeper. There will be no fee there but a tip to the bag room attendant is encouraged.
ksu likes this.
Long Train Runnin is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 8:31 am
  #4  
ksu
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
You will be able to check in your bags at Chicago union Station any time after 8am on the day of travel. (When the checked luggage counter opens for the day).

As for carry on storage on top of the paid option above you will be able to store your bags in Metropolitan Lounge which you will have access to if you are traveling in a sleeper. There will be no fee there but a tip to the bag room attendant is encouraged.
Excellent! Many thanks for the good advice!
ksu is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 10:44 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: flyover country
Posts: 975
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
There will be no fee there but a tip to the bag room attendant is encouraged.
Has the new Metropolitan Lounge gained a baggage room attendant? It has been many months since I was there, but I have had to store and retrieve my own bags during all my visits to the new Metropolitan Lounge. Perhaps I do not credit the desk clerks' alertness properly, but it does not seem to me that they do anything related to bag storage.
serpens is offline  
Old Aug 20, 19, 11:43 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin View Post
You will be able to check in your bags at Chicago union Station any time after 8am on the day of travel. (When the checked luggage counter opens for the day).

As for carry on storage on top of the paid option above you will be able to store your bags in Metropolitan Lounge which you will have access to if you are traveling in a sleeper. There will be no fee there but a tip to the bag room attendant is encouraged.
The luggage storage room in Chicago's new Metropolitan Lounge is self serve and there is no attendant as there was in the old one.
zephyr17 is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:09 am
  #7  
ksu
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by zephyr17 View Post
The luggage storage room in Chicago's new Metropolitan Lounge is self serve and there is no attendant as there was in the old one.
OK, so paid storage would be safer for us, then?

Ist the paid storage at the same location as the baggage check?

(Tickets for train 59 have been purchased, BTW)
ksu is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 7:56 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Denver, Colorado
Programs: AA, UA, WN, Amtrak, VIA
Posts: 1,456
If you are carrying a lot of luggage, using the Blue Line from OHare to CUS might be a problem as you will have to negotiate steps at the downtown Chicago stop. IF you are traveling on a weekday, it is better to use Metra North Central Service from OHare Transfer to Union Station. The monorail is replaced by a bus to the parking lots at OHare during reconstruction, get the one that says Metra and the Metra station is adjacent to the rent a car facility, and the bus will drop you off at the platform. NOTE that this is only an option on weekdays, since North Central Service doesn't operate on weekends. Daze
Daze is offline  
Old Aug 21, 19, 2:00 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by ksu View Post
OK, so paid storage would be safer for us, then?

Ist the paid storage at the same location as the baggage check?

(Tickets for train 59 have been purchased, BTW)
I have used the unattended baggage storage rooms at the Metropolitan Lounges/Club Acelas at New York, Washington, Los Angeles, the new one at Chicago and the old one at Chicago (before they started using the Red Cap attendant) for years without an issue. The period they had a staffed one at Chicago was always unique within the system.

I would not and do not hesitate to use any of the Met Lounge/Club Acela storage facilities.
ksu likes this.
zephyr17 is offline  
Old Aug 26, 19, 5:15 am
  #10  
ksu
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KSU (Kristiansund N, Norway)
Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
If you are carrying a lot of luggage, using the Blue Line from OHare to CUS might be a problem as you will have to negotiate steps at the downtown Chicago stop. IF you are traveling on a weekday, it is better to use Metra North Central Service from OHare Transfer to Union Station. The monorail is replaced by a bus to the parking lots at OHare during reconstruction, get the one that says Metra and the Metra station is adjacent to the rent a car facility, and the bus will drop you off at the platform. NOTE that this is only an option on weekdays, since North Central Service doesn't operate on weekends. Daze
We are arriving on a Sunday, so Metra would not be an alternative.

I do not fear using the Blue Line with luggage. We will only be carrying one check-in-bag and one carry-on each, and I had no problems negotiating the Blue Line O'Hare - Monroe R/T with a similar amount of luggage last October.
ksu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread