Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

When/why did Amtrak drop "Express" from Acela?

Old Aug 18, 19, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus

Was booking some trips today and noticed that the Acela Express is now branded just as Acela e.g. https://www.amtrak.com/acela-train, and on my eTicket the train name is showing as just ACELA vs. ACELA EXPRESS on previous ones any ideas when/why this switch happened? (Maybe to coincide with the Acela Nonstop? Or to acknowledge that the Acela really isn't all that express )
Old Aug 19, 19, 6:42 am

The change seemed to coincide with the Acela Nonstop rollout
Old Aug 25, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Yep. If you look at dates after the rollout happens, you'll see "Acela" and "Acela Nonstop". My guess is that someone decided that "Acela Express" and "Acela Nonstop" would be a hair confusing.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Yep. If you look at dates after the rollout happens, you'll see "Acela" and "Acela Nonstop". My guess is that someone decided that "Acela Express" and "Acela Nonstop" would be a hair confusing.
Exactly, given that in most of the world an "express train" is basically what the Acela nonstop is, a "local train" is basically what the NE Regional is, and the regular Acela would be somewhere in the middle.

Search this Thread