help w MR redemption rate? pls n thnx

Old Aug 16, 19, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
help w MR redemption rate? pls n thnx

So I need to get from the DC area to EWR Airport for a flight next month. The fares are as follows:
Less Desirable time Reg Regional Train// $52 ow// or 3554 MR points
MOST Desirable time Reg Regional Train// $103ow// or 3554 MR points
MOST Desirable time Acela Train// $87ow// or 6152 MR points

So I have a two part question please
1) Why is it that trains that cost different dollar amounts cost the same MR points?
2) If I elect to use MR points, would these be good redemption rates (for 3554 points) as I only have about 4500 points so it would eat up most of my balance? thanks in advance for any useful insights! and safe travels.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:26 pm

Not sure what MR points are but it's possible the answer to #1 is that $52 is the Saver fare and at least with AGR, Saver fares are not available and the point total is based on the next bucket up, Value. The second price is probably Value already, thus they may be based on the same bucket and be the same number of points.
Old Aug 16, 19, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
ah, thanks for the reply. "MR" is I thought you they were Membership Rewards points but I see from your post it's guest rewards, sorry about the confusion and thanks again!
musicalbox likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by musicalbox View Post
Not sure what MR points are but it's possible the answer to #1 is that $52 is the Saver fare and at least with AGR, Saver fares are not available and the point total is based on the next bucket up, Value. The second price is probably Value already, thus they may be based on the same bucket and be the same number of points.
Almost certainly the answer. This & other quirks of the program are discussed in detail in the wiki at Introducing the next stop for Amtrak Guest Rewards
Old Aug 25, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
In terms of AGR points, my best guess is that the two Regionals are pricing off of the $103 fare (103*34.5=3553.5, rounds to 3554).

As to the Acela...aside from an Acela-related adjustment to redemption pricing, that's hitting a "penalty" price as far as I can tell.
Old Aug 25, 19, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soxfanndc View Post
So I need to get from the DC area to EWR Airport for a flight next month. The fares are as follows:
Less Desirable time Reg Regional Train// $52 ow// or 3554 MR points
MOST Desirable time Reg Regional Train// $103ow// or 3554 MR points
MOST Desirable time Acela Train// $87ow// or 6152 MR points

So I have a two part question please
1) Why is it that trains that cost different dollar amounts cost the same MR points?
2) If I elect to use MR points, would these be good redemption rates (for 3554 points) as I only have about 4500 points so it would eat up most of my balance? thanks in advance for any useful insights! and safe travels.
I was under the impression that the Acela does not stop at EWR Rail Station. If that is correct, you would either have to connect to a Regional or Keystone train somewhere, or ride the Acela to Newark Penn Station, and catch a taxi or the NJTransit Route 62 bus to the Airport.
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
No Acelas stop at EWR.

Search this Thread