Short Hops on LD trains

Old Aug 11, 19, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Short Hops on LD trains

I need some activity to refresh my account. I have LD trains leaving town but the stop I want to take is listed a "R" for receiving passengers. Amtrak.com does offer tickets between the two stops. I am sure no one will try to stop me from getting off (presuming they will stop regardless if no one is booked to board there. The real question here is: has anyone been denied credit for taking a trip their schedule says is not available?

I know there are other options, but I'l looking at combining the trip out of town with other travel options.
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:47 pm

I once took a trip NYP to PHL in order to complete the 123 Free promotion and I ended up getting off in Metropark, but I could easily have gotten off in Newark, NJ which isn't a valid trip, I don't think, and I doubt anyone would have noticed. I did take my seat check with me when I left.
Old Aug 12, 19, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by musicalbox View Post
I once took a trip NYP to PHL in order to complete the 123 Free promotion and I ended up getting off in Metropark, but I could easily have gotten off in Newark, NJ which isn't a valid trip, I don't think, and I doubt anyone would have noticed. I did take my seat check with me when I left.
Yes, I have done this myself (ticketing most distant station), especially when I wasn't sure which station I wanted to disembark. But the question is if their schedules say a stop is for receiving passengers AND their website allows you to book the destination, will they issue credit? Time is running short so I don't have much recovery time.
Old Aug 12, 19, 11:53 am

Sorry, misunderstood, no idea then. I don't understand why you wouldn't book a further stop and just get off where you want to?
Old Aug 12, 19, 9:22 pm

I don't know how they would know. Even if you didn't take your seat check and they noticed someone was missing, there's still no way they could know who it was. Those seat check tickets have nothing on them except for the destination. All you really have to be sure of is they scan your ticket when you get on. Otherwise, you won't get credit.

And it's even worse (different topic though), if you go round trip, and don't get your ticket scanned on the first leg, subsequent legs will be cancelled.
Old Aug 13, 19, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musicalbox View Post
Sorry, misunderstood, no idea then. I don't understand why you wouldn't book a further stop and just get off where you want to?
TIcket price over 2x higher to ticket to next stop. Sounds like a good reason to me to not do that.

My concern will Amtrak refuse to credit points given it's not supposed to be a valid ticket yet is available on the web. It seems there are two different systems, ticketing and Guest Rewards. Has anyone run into this before?
Old Aug 13, 19, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I think if Amtrak will let you buy a ticket between the two stations then it will be a valid ticket and you should get the credit.

Clearly their ticketing system isn't concerned that its an R station if it will sell you a ticket where you can get off at that stop.

No need to over think it.
GoAmtrak likes this.