Wiki Posts
Search

No More Business Class on Cardinal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
No More Business Class on Cardinal?

While checking future reservations on the Cardinal, I noticed that no Business Class fares appear to be available after early October. Does anyone know whether business class is being eliminated? I've read that the dining service is changing on many eastern trains, so I assume this could be related to these changes. This would be a major downgrade for this train. Business class provided a cost effective alternative to an expensive roomette, especially for trips originating in Cincinnati in the middle of the night. I have traveled on the Cardinal 6 times in the past year and business class was usually full, especially after the 2nd sleeper car was dropped. Anderson is really ruining Amtrak.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Business Class Bonus offer but no more Business Class

I recently received an email bonus offer from Amtrak Rewards for traveling Business Class on the Cardinal. However, there appears to be no more business class available after Oct 1. I assume this change is due to the change to 'contemporary dining' that starts on 10/1. I guess they are eliminating the car that contained the business class seats.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by Armani
. Anderson is really ruining Amtrak.
This. EVERY change since Anderson took charge (with the possible exception of the non-stop Acela) has been a downgrade, these two on the Cardinal included. Daze.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:32 pm

What was the difference between business on the Cardinal and coach on an Amfleet II? Amfleet II seats already have footrests and a good amount of recline.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A soda and a newspaper included.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danib62
What was the difference between business on the Cardinal and coach on an Amfleet II? Amfleet II seats already have footrests and a good amount of recline.
The biggest difference to me is the business class has fewer seats and is much quieter. Typically the fare wasn't that much more than coach and well worth it for nightime travel. Since the Cardinal now only has one sleeper car, the roomette fares can be over $200 higher than coach from CIN to DC or CHI.

I took the Cardinal from Cin to CHI two weeks ago and was told that it will continue to have business class. However, when I checked trains for next summer, no business class was available. I'll be traveling on it to DC in two weeks so I will have an opportunity to try the new meal service. The Cardinal hasn't had a full diner for a few years, so the food can't get much worse. I will miss the French Toast, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.