Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

BOGO Sleeper Car Offer Tempting- Questions about First Amtrak Trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

I saw the BOGO Offer and am tempted to purchase tickets for my wife and I. The web site is not 100% clear, but I think I am looking at $320 for a sleeper accommodation one way between Emeryville CA and Grand Junction CO in early September. Looks like it's bunk beds for the 2 of us. Some questions:
  • Is that a decent deal in the opinion of the veterans here?
  • I selected 1 senior and one Adult. The final summary page shows:
    • Senior $0.00
    • 1 Adult $133.00
    • 1 Superliner Roomette $187.00
for the $320 total. Is that correct?
  • Any thoughts on trip insurance offered on the Amtrak site? Would I be better getting insurance elsewhere?
  • Finally, I think this would be a nice ride for views. Any experience or advice on this particular route? I will do more research on this also, but any current thoughts are welcome
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
It's a fantastic deal, Amtrak hardly discounts Sleepers and it's becoming increasingly hard to accumulate their points since they killed off Chase UR and SPG transfers.

If you don't have a Credit Card with trip insurance I would encourage you to buy the trip insurance.

The views on the route are beautiful, you'll be climbing up the Sierra Nevada's and going through the beautiful canyons of Utah. The trip east of Grand Junction to Denver is also spectacular. You might want to consider booking to Denver and taking the train the next day back to Grand Junction or flying from Denver to Grand Junction.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I targeted Grand Junction because it was significantly cheaper than Denver and I will rent a car and drive down to SW Colorado. Plus, GCT arrival is 10amish, so get a full day in that area.

As for insurance, I am always leery of buying insurance from the travel provider website. I would have the coverage from CSP or Amex Plat.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's misleading for Amtrak to call this Buy-one/Get-one as the thing you're buying, the roomette and the fee for the first passenger, is not the same as, and is significantly more expensive than what you're getting for free - the fee for the 2nd passenger.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Misleading or not, I guess it had the desired effect... stimulating people who otherwise are not buying tickets to consider it.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by nerd
It's misleading for Amtrak to call this Buy-one/Get-one as the thing you're buying, the roomette and the fee for the first passenger, is not the same as, and is significantly more expensive than what you're getting for free - the fee for the 2nd passenger.
I wouldn't say it's misleading if you understand how Amtrak prices rooms.

The way they price sleeping cars is you have a rail fare and an accommodation fare (on the old paper tickets they used to split it out).

On EMY-CHI for 2 passengers you might pay $1,000 for a roomette. This price is broken down as follows:

Railfare Passenger 1: $200 (this is typically what the coach price is)
Railfare Passenger 2: $200
Accomidation Charge, roomette 1: $600

With this buy one get one sale, you're still paying full price for the sleeper, you're just saving the railfare portion of the 2nd passenger. So instead of $1,000, you would pay $800 during a bogo sale. This is also why when you're booking a roomette for 1 person vs. 2, the price for 2 people is not 2x the price.
GoAmtrak, strickerj, ryw and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
I wouldn't say it's misleading if you understand how Amtrak prices rooms.

The way they price sleeping cars is you have a rail fare and an accommodation fare (on the old paper tickets they used to split it out).

On EMY-CHI for 2 passengers you might pay $1,000 for a roomette. This price is broken down as follows:

Railfare Passenger 1: $200 (this is typically what the coach price is)
Railfare Passenger 2: $200
Accomidation Charge, roomette 1: $600

With this buy one get one sale, you're still paying full price for the sleeper, you're just saving the railfare portion of the 2nd passenger. So instead of $1,000, you would pay $800 during a bogo sale. This is also why when you're booking a roomette for 1 person vs. 2, the price for 2 people is not 2x the price.
Right, and that's why they should call it "Companion travels for free'. It's not BOGO.

In the real world, BOGO means you pay for 1 roomette, and you get 2.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I was tempted too. Last September, a FT friend and I did SEA LAX on a "BOGO" sale. Tonight, I didn't start searching till after 8 pm PT and, well, Amtrak's clock is on ET, so I snoozed and losed.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

I did purchase... 2 roomettes for 4 of us, Grand Junction to Emeryville. Looking forward to a new experience. Now I have to piece together the rest of the logistics. Think we will fly to ABQ and drive up through Santa Fe and into southern Colorado. make it to GJT, take train to Emeryville and spend the weekend in SFO and return home.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Great place to fine days with better rates, that seem to price similiar to BOGO.

https://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

it has been having issues and sends you to : AmSnag Verson 2.02
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:58 pm

Just a reminder that this deal is back until January 12.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.