Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cascades commuter on-time performance south of Portland - getting worse 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak

I commute from Salem, Oregon to Texas and back every week (flying through PDX). In order to get from the PDX airport to Salem on my return trips, about half the time I take the light rail to Portland Union Station and then take the Amtrak Cascades #505 train (Wed or Thur early evening) to Salem.

For every #505 train I've taken this year, their on time performance is ZERO. Like ZERO! I've ridden the #505 like 8-9 times this year. Tonight, the train got delayed in Oregon City for nearly 45 minutes because the brakes needed fixing. It's always something. And last fall 2018, on-time performance when I took the #505 was like 5 percent. I am totally frustrated with their on-time performance.

The on-time numbers posted by the Oregon legislature show on-time performance of like 70 percent for 2018. I just can't believe these numbers. My #505 train is late every time.

https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/RPTD/RPTD%20Document%20Library/OnTimePerformance_Sep_2018.pdf

Of course, I know the morning northbound train (which usually is on-time) is probably inflating those numbers. And the trend line does show the performance getting worse. But, can anyone direct me to on-time performance for specific train numbers on the Cascades?

Why do I subject myself to punishment on the Cascades? It's much cheaper than an airport shuttle to Salem ($25-30 cheaper by train), and riding the Cascades in terms of comfort is quite nice - Spanish Talgo luxury train cars, lots of room, leather seats, luxury bar car.... just wish they could be a little more prompt.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
How often are your flights delayed -- For example,I know someone who just had a five hour delay at LGA.

Bob H
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:27 am

Unfortunately, it's been late every day of the year so far

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/ar...ize=2&smooth=0
MJMLBBtoCPH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.