New Amtrak Discount Program (Share Fares)

Old Apr 24, 19, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
New Amtrak Discount Program (Share Fares)

Amtrak has announced a new discount program for group travel

For details see

https://www.amtrak.com/sharefares

Basically, it works as follows, for tickets purchased at least three days in advance.

Passenger 1 – full price Price
Passenger 2 – 15% off full price
Passenger 3 – 60% off full price
Passenger 4 – 70% off full price

Bob H
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:43 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I got the email this morning - is this permanent or just a temporary promotion? I've got a few trips planned with my wife and her parents and this would make a big difference, but it wouldn't be for a while.
Old Apr 24, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
This is just marketing. It's "up to" 35% off full price, and you only get that percentage with 4 people. Coincidentally, 35% off is the same price as a Saver fare, which merely requires booking in advance, rather than traveling in a group.

I find it hard to imagine this will ever be an actual deal - unless, of course, they are reducing the discount on Saver fares.
Old Apr 25, 19, 9:26 am

As far as I'm aware, Saver fares are 20-25% off depending on the train, so this is a discount for large parties (if not a substantial one).
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:35 pm

Well, I put in a bunch of routes on a bunch of different dates with 1, 2, and 4 passengers, and it always prices each subsequent passenger the same as the previous, so I have no idea how this is supposed to work. I didn’t go past passenger info - maybe you have to get all the way to checkout to see the discount? (That would seem like a weird way to do it.)
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:55 pm

The email I received has a discount code (V291) so you may have to wait till the checkout page, which is irritating.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 30, 19, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by musicalbox View Post
The email I received has a discount code (V291) so you may have to wait till the checkout page, which is irritating.
Thanks, somehow I missed that. You can also click through the link in the email (scroll down to the bottom of the page to “book now”) and see the discounted fares immediately. I was curious to see if the promo applied to the base fare when booking a sleeper - it doesn’t.
musicalbox likes this.

Search this Thread