Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Use 48hr upgrade coupon on reservation made using companion cert?

Old Apr 18, 19, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

I booked a one way Acela ticket in business for two using a companion coupon. Inside the 48 hour window will I be able to apply two upgrade coupons to get us both in first class if seats are available?
Old Apr 20, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum; Amtrak Select
Pretty sure it's one coupon per ticket so no, but others may have greater knowledge.
Old Apr 22, 19, 7:36 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
No, you cannot use the upgrade coupon with a companion coupon.

I believe you can (in theory) upgrade the companion ticket with cash, and then use the upgrade coupon for the paid ticket, but not sure how easy it will be to pull off that level of gymnastics. Also, expect the upgrade charge for the free ticket to be pretty substantial. As my Amtrak travel is on my own dime, I've never done it.
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by octr202 View Post
No, you cannot use the upgrade coupon with a companion coupon.

I believe you can (in theory) upgrade the companion ticket with cash, and then use the upgrade coupon for the paid ticket, but not sure how easy it will be to pull off that level of gymnastics. Also, expect the upgrade charge for the free ticket to be pretty substantial. As my Amtrak travel is on my own dime, I've never done it.
OCT202 is correct; I did it once, back when the "accommodation fee" was ~$70. It takes a good phone agent to do it.

Search this Thread