Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points Expiration Changed to 24 Months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

I see in the new terms and conditions posted on April 3 that points now expire after 24 months rather than 36 - I'm surprised no one here is mentioned that yet. Methods for preventing expiration seem to still be the same - I might have to sign up for the credit card since I don't have any rail trips planned in the near future (even though I'm not really a fan of Bank of America).
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Sigh.
beltway likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I am starting to think that the term "loyalty program" shouldn't apply to these programs any longer! Everyone from airlines to hotel chains to now Amtrak is putting the screws on us.
GUWonder and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:26 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Called Amtrak. They say any point activities would make account active. You can redeem magazines, portal shopping. No expiration as long as you keep Amtrak credit card.

Going to open a CC to keep points active. Not sure if there is any more Amtrak transfer partner left....
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by RedSun
Called Amtrak. They say any point activities would make account active. You can redeem magazines, portal shopping. No expiration as long as you keep Amtrak credit card.

Going to open a CC to keep points active. Not sure if there is any more Amtrak transfer partner left....
You can transfer Amtrak points to Choice Hotels, Hilton, and Audience Rewards, but only if you’re elite (Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus), or have the credit card with $20,000 or more in net retail spending that year: https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/...ransfer-points. It used to be just $200 in a year on Amtrak with the card, which was easy to achieve. Now it’s basically impossible without elite status if the Amtrak credit card is just for keeping your account active and not your primary spending card.

You can transfer from Choice Privileges to Amtrak though without any status at either. So, indirectly, you can transfer AmEx Membership Rewards points to Amtrak since you can transfer them to Choice. (I haven’t looked too closely into the value though so I don’t know if it’s a good deal to do it that way.)
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by strickerj
You can transfer Amtrak points to Choice Hotels, Hilton, and Audience Rewards, but only if you’re elite (Guest Rewards Select or Select Plus), or have the credit card with $20,000 or more in net retail spending that year: https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/...ransfer-points. It used to be just $200 in a year on Amtrak with the card, which was easy to achieve. Now it’s basically impossible without elite status if the Amtrak credit card is just for keeping your account active and not your primary spending card.

You can transfer from Choice Privileges to Amtrak though without any status at either. So, indirectly, you can transfer AmEx Membership Rewards points to Amtrak since you can transfer them to Choice. (I haven’t looked too closely into the value though so I don’t know if it’s a good deal to do it that way.)
I still get more than 25k points. So it is a big chunk. The points are still valuable, but we just do not use Amtrak so often.

I think the best way is just to open the credit card. Even the no fee card can keep the points active, never expire.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:09 am

It takes so long to get points geez. I use them four times a month still in the few thousands point range. Ugh 😑 pointless.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: UA MM Lifetime Gold, Delta Gold, SPG/ Marriott Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Transferred points out

I just transferred all my points to Aeroplan (Air Canada).
hi55us and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Wonder what AGR will do with accounts that are say, 31 months from the last activity. Instant points expiration?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Tanic
Wonder what AGR will do with accounts that are say, 31 months from the last activity. Instant points expiration?
Last activity in my wife's account was 25 months ago. As of this morning, her points are still there. Looks like AGR is handling this the way they should (i.e., not instantly expiring those accounts). But it's not really clear what they're doing, and I'm nervous that those points could disappear at any moment. So my to-do list for today includes figuring out a way to get some activity in that account quickly.

Any suggestions for a quick, cheap way to get activity in the account?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Ugh. That's lame. I mean, I guess I could make use of mine, but not very good use. Just an early-morning jaunt to DC that only costs like $19 anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by roberton
Last activity in my wife's account was 25 months ago. As of this morning, her points are still there. Looks like AGR is handling this the way they should (i.e., not instantly expiring those accounts). But it's not really clear what they're doing, and I'm nervous that those points could disappear at any moment. So my to-do list for today includes figuring out a way to get some activity in that account quickly.

Any suggestions for a quick, cheap way to get activity in the account?
If you're in DC as your profile suggests, the best way is probably to book a one-way ticket to New Carrollton or Alexandria from Union Station and then take metro back to your starting point.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ambyr
If you're in DC as your profile suggests, the best way is probably to book a one-way ticket to New Carrollton or Alexandria from Union Station and then take metro back to your starting point.
It seems like just buying points would make more sense: it's about the same price, and a lot less hassle. Am I missing something?

Edit: it looks like the rules used to require you to actually earn points by taking a train trip in order to prevent expiration. But it appears that under the new rules, earning or redeeming any points is sufficient. If I'm right about that, then taking a short trip was great advice under the old rules, but not necessary anymore.

Last edited by roberton; Apr 12, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I got the “you’ve got 120 days notice” as a result of this change.

~1200 orphaned miles.
I don’t live in the US.

Advice on best use?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shuuy
I got the “you’ve got 120 days notice” as a result of this change.

~1200 orphaned miles.
I don’t live in the US.

Advice on best use?
Not really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.