Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak passengers spend 37 hours stuck in the snow

Old Feb 27, 19, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

Didn’t see this posted anywhere but passengers were stuck on a Coast Starlight train in Oregon for 2 days after the train hit a fallen tree.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...=.6f474f95339a

Shortly after 6 p.m. local time (Sunday), the train struck a downed tree that had fallen on the tracks after snowstorms had walloped the region, and lurched to a sudden halt....

At last, around 7:20 a.m. local time Tuesday, the Coast Starlight was moving again. It was getting towed north — meaning passengers would be returning to the stations where they had originally boarded.”
MJMLBBtoCPH likes this.
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Didn’t see this posted anywhere but passengers were stuck on a Coast Starlight train in Oregon for 2 days after the train hit a fallen tree.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...=.6f474f95339a

Shortly after 6 p.m. local time (Sunday), the train struck a downed tree that had fallen on the tracks after snowstorms had walloped the region, and lurched to a sudden halt....

At last, around 7:20 a.m. local time Tuesday, the Coast Starlight was moving again. It was getting towed north — meaning passengers would be returning to the stations where they had originally boarded.”
This has been well covered in the press and several rail related discussion groups including Train Orders and Trains News Wire.

The problem wasn't just one tree that came down, it was much more than that and from what I've heard there was no power in the nearest town and the roads were closed due to the weather.

Bob H
Old Feb 27, 19, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
This has been well covered in the press and several rail related discussion groups including Train Orders and Trains News Wire.

The problem wasn't just one tree that came down, it was much more than that and from what I've heard there was no power in the nearest town and the roads were closed due to the weather.

Bob H
I meant posted anywhere on FT. It has been on my local news for a couple of days. It seems Amtrak cid everything possible to make them comfortable, not charging for food/drink etc. It beats being stuck on a plane on the tarmac for a few hours, I guess.

Search this Thread