Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Build connection on same train (Cascades)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100k

I booked a ticket from TUK (Tukwila, WA) to ALY (Albany, OR).

It turns out that I need to depart from Seattle (SEA) instead. The cost of changing the ticket is more than just booking a separate SEA-TUK ticket ($7 and 12 minutes).

Does anyone have any experience building your own connection on such a journey? Can I just stay on the train at TUK and take my new seat?

I've only ever taken Amtrak from SEA – and you have to check in at the desk there to get a seat assignment. But I can't imagine that TUK has such a thing based on what I've seen there.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sturges

It turns out that I need to depart from Seattle (SEA) instead. The cost of changing the ticket is more than just booking a separate SEA-TUK ticket ($7 and 12 minutes).

Does anyone have any experience building your own connection on such a journey? Can I just stay on the train at TUK and take my new seat?

I've only ever taken Amtrak from SEA – and you have to check in at the desk there to get a seat assignment. But I can't imagine that TUK has such a thing based on what I've seen there.

Buy the separate ticket, have both ready, and tell the conductor your true final destination when boarding at Seattle. Tukwila does not have the lineup or any other amenities.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:41 am

I have added a stop this way without difficulty. You won't be the first or last passenger to do it. Amtrak won't care.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've done 2 tickets for 2 segments (A-B and B-C) in the same trip (A-C) on another railroad and it was fine. The conductor shouldn't care although s/he might try to seat you in the car with a group for the first stop.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sturges

Yes, do show both tickets at first boarding as they may wish to batch ALY departing passengers in certain cars to speed operations.

I once took a train to connect to a charter event later on the same train. When the conductor found out we were with the future group he sent us to the reserved car. We were the only two in the car for three hours! Unfortunately that was not the case on the return, the car was open for everyone at that point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.