WAS Union Station luggage storage

Old Feb 14, 19, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
WAS Union Station luggage storage

I am reading conflicting information about luggage storage at Union Station. I am finding some information that there is a bag check area near Gate A, but I cannot tell if it is still accurate or dated. Some sites list outrageous hourly rates, others say $10 a day for one bag. I need to drop a bag about 6:30 am and retrieve it around 2 pm on a Monday. What are my options? TIA.
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:39 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, AS MVP, IHG Spire, NEXUS, APEC
There is baggage storage by gate A. $10/day with a same day Amtrak or MARC ticket (arriving or departing).
Old Feb 14, 19, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's an Amtrak facility. Includes in addition to Amtrak & MARC, VRE as well. $10 w. ticket and $20 without.
Old Feb 14, 19, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
Great, fabulous, thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone know if they would be open at 6:30 am? We'll be catching a train at 3 pm later the same day. TIA
Old Feb 14, 19, 3:50 pm

If no one answers by tomorrow morning, I'll ask the counter for their hours when I catch a train then.
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:09 pm

The website is your friend. It says 6:30 AM. As with most Amtrak services, that means that there is someone assigned to the task, but it doesn't mean that there is someone sitting there. You do need to be prepared at drop off and at pick up for someone to go find someone to go find someone.

https://www.unionstationdc.com/rail
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
Great, fabulous, thanks for the confirmation. Does anyone know if they would be open at 6:30 am? We'll be catching a train at 3 pm later the same day. TIA
To where will you be traveling at 3:00 pm? If it's to an Amtrak station with checked-baggage service, you can check your bag to that station at no charge -- even if checked-baggage service is not offered on your particular train.
Old Feb 24, 19, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We'll be travelling to Cary, NC, and checked baggage service is available. However, we will want access to our bag while on the train (it will have our dinner in it, lol). We have to be two blocks from Union Station by 7:30, so hopefully someone will have opened the baggage storage near Gate A by 7 am.
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
To where will you be traveling at 3:00 pm? If it's to an Amtrak station with checked-baggage service, you can check your bag to that station at no charge -- even if checked-baggage service is not offered on your particular train.
Is the checked bag service at the same location as the bag storage area near Gate A?
Old Feb 26, 19, 7:31 am

I don't recall if it is "A" but it is the same window.
Old Feb 26, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: AGR
No, separate.
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
Is the checked bag service at the same location as the bag storage area near Gate A?
It's been several years since I checked bags in at WAS, but when I did, I believe it was done at the ticket counter. Things might have changed since then.
Old Mar 7, 19, 10:13 am
Original Poster

For the benefit of anyone coming here on down the line (pun intended), we had a very good experience with Amtrak's luggage storage service at DC Union Station. We arrived at about 7:10 am, followed the signs to Gate A, and the baggage storage area was well signed and easy to find. If you need specific directions, it is on the right as you approach Gate A, opposite the men's room.

There was someone there to take our bags when we dropped them off, and someone there to return them to us when we went back about 1:30 pm. They only accept credit cards. A door in the counter opens so we were able roll our bag through and did not have to lift it up and over the counter.

The signage clearly stated $10 if you had an Amtrak ticket and $20 for non-ticketed passengers. The sign also said they open at 6:30 am. I don't remember what time it closed, although the link in post #6 above says 9:45 pm.

Please note this is to store and retrieve your bag to take it with you on the train, NOT for checking luggage onto the train.

Thanks to everyone for your tips, advice and comments. We had a really nice ride home on the train, and it was well worth the $ to leave our bags in the station during the day when we were out and about. A painless process all around.
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:55 am

Also if you're not traveling on Amtrak or MARC it's still cheaper to just buy the cheapest MARC ticket ($5) and use that to get the discount, especially if you're checking multiple bags.

Search this Thread