Ever Use trips.amtrak.com to book a hotel?

Old Feb 5, 19, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA
Ever Use trips.amtrak.com to book a hotel?

Has anyone ever used trips.amtrak.com to book a hotel? I used it to book a car rental once but I was surprised when I got the final bill. What the website said as 'Total', I was told afterwards, did not include the local taxes and that made the rate/Total not competitive in the end. I am curious to know peoples feed back for using this site to book hotels and earn AGR points.
Old Feb 6, 19, 7:25 am

Having a "Total" not include all charges is a serious flaw.

I was not aware of using trips.amtrak.com to book a hotel or car, but I just received an email from Amtrak Guest Rewards that said, in part, "With Amtrak® Hotels & Cars, you could earn up to 5,000 bonus points on your first hotel stay on top of the up to 10,000 points you already earn per night." It seems to me that 10,000 AGR points per night is a significant incentive to book a room through Amtrak, so I would also be interested in others' experiences.
Old Feb 6, 19, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's misleading. The points.com booking engine (that's who Amtrak is using) shows the amout Due Now and amount Due at Counter. However, the Total does not include both charges:

With an info pop-up that explains what "Due at Counter" means:

Search this Thread