Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

First time on Amtrak and first time using Penn/DC/Boston South Station: Acela Express

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time on Amtrak and first time using Penn/DC/Boston South Station: Acela Express

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rachel1
Another quick question: do staff check your tickets on your way to the track like they do here in the U.K. or just once you’re on board?
Penn Station has two levels you can use to access the tracks. The main level (one level below the street) is where the Club Acela and Amtrak ticket windows are. When you enter Penn Station from 7th Avenue (and ~32nd St.), you go down escalators from the street, and then just keep walking straight, straight, straight, to the 8th Avenue side of the train station, which is where Amtrak is located.

There are escalators from this level/area, directly down to the platforms, 2 levels below. This is where the "line of death" referred to above forms, and there usually is a ticket-checker at the top of the escalators, although it's an informal check (the real scan is on board).

But there is also a mezzanine level below the main level, and there are stairs/escalators down to the tracks from there. Most people "in the know" head to the track from there, it's easier to avoid the scrum, and there are no ticket checks at those entrances. This may be moot, however, if you use the Redcap service.

As far as Club Acela in Penn Station, it's a VERY dreary place with limited amenities. I would not want to spend much time there, but it's obviously calmer than the main waiting area. I would think they have tea (IIRC they have coffee and juice in the AM), but if you're the least bit picky, you might want to just bring your own teabags in your handbag (this is a general comment about the US ) ).
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Penn Station has two levels you can use to access the tracks. The main level (one level below the street) is where the Club Acela and Amtrak ticket windows are. When you enter Penn Station from 7th Avenue (and ~32nd St.), you go down escalators from the street, and then just keep walking straight, straight, straight, to the 8th Avenue side of the train station, which is where Amtrak is located.

There are escalators from this level/area, directly down to the platforms, 2 levels below. This is where the "line of death" referred to above forms, and there usually is a ticket-checker at the top of the escalators, although it's an informal check (the real scan is on board).

But there is also a mezzanine level below the main level, and there are stairs/escalators down to the tracks from there. Most people "in the know" head to the track from there, it's easier to avoid the scrum, and there are no ticket checks at those entrances. This may be moot, however, if you use the Redcap service.

As far as Club Acela in Penn Station, it's a VERY dreary place with limited amenities. I would not want to spend much time there, but it's obviously calmer than the main waiting area. I would think they have tea (IIRC they have coffee and juice in the AM), but if you're the least bit picky, you might want to just bring your own teabags in your handbag (this is a general comment about the US ) ).
Ha! I might just haul a bag of Tetley’s with me.

This is brill round up, thank you.

Is it April yet?

Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I’ve just received a modified e-ticket for my Boston journey from Amtrak, which is worrying me because 1) I didn’t request any modifications (not at least since I changed seating assignments after initial purchase) and 2) it doesn’t look like anything has changed when I’m comparing my original to the new one. Same amount, times, seating arrangements, names, etc.

Has anyone experienced this before? As I’m in the U.K., calling Amtrak in the US can be prohibitively expensive, so I wanted to ask here incase it’s normal/there’s a reasonable explanation before I call.

ETA I have also sent an email to them in the mean time. How long does it usually take them to respond? Days, weeks?

Last edited by Rachel1; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Rachel1, the same thing happened to me this week. About 12-14 hours after the revised eTicket email, I got an email saying there had been a schedule change (pushing back arrival by about 12-13 minutes on the Boston-New York leg, then the same thing on the New York-Boston segment.

This is for an Acela trip in March - sounds like there must be a trackwork issue somewhere increasing the running time. The departures from BOS and NYP aren't changing.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by octr202
Rachel1, the same thing happened to me this week. About 12-14 hours after the revised eTicket email, I got an email saying there had been a schedule change (pushing back arrival by about 12-13 minutes on the Boston-New York leg, then the same thing on the New York-Boston segment.

This is for an Acela trip in March - sounds like there must be a trackwork issue somewhere increasing the running time. The departures from BOS and NYP aren't changing.
Ah! That would make sense! Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
The redcaps will be your best friend. Whenever my mother travels on Amtrak to visit family upstate, I always give her a lounge coupon and a red cap arrives at the lounge to grab her stuff and take her to the train. Remember to bring 3-5 dollars to tip them as well - well worth it!
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
The redcaps will be your best friend. Whenever my mother travels on Amtrak to visit family upstate, I always give her a lounge coupon and a red cap arrives at the lounge to grab her stuff and take her to the train. Remember to bring 3-5 dollars to tip them as well - well worth it!
Cheers, will do!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I'm still suffering from PNYPALTSD (Post-NY Penn Acela Lounge Traumatic Stress Disorder) from my last Acela Express first class trip leaving from NY Penn Station. The Acela lounge is a dump and is, frankly, so derelict that it's scary.

If you're in the middle of the large hall in Penn Station (where the crowds wait to board Amtrak trains), there is a staircase, leading down, in the middle of the hall, right below the train departure board. If you go down that staircase, you'll be on a lower level, and you can board the train from that lower level as well. I'd do that. There isn't much of a crowd on the lower level and you don't have to deal with that frightening lounge.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I'm still suffering from PNYPALTSD (Post-NY Penn Acela Lounge Traumatic Stress Disorder) from my last Acela Express first class trip leaving from NY Penn Station. The Acela lounge is a dump and is, frankly, so derelict that it's scary.

If you're in the middle of the large hall in Penn Station (where the crowds wait to board Amtrak trains), there is a staircase, leading down, in the middle of the hall, right below the train departure board. If you go down that staircase, you'll be on a lower level, and you can board the train from that lower level as well. I'd do that. There isn't much of a crowd on the lower level and you don't have to deal with that frightening lounge.
Ha! From reading through past posts on here, you’re definitely not the only one. For the first trip, we may get there earlier than absolutely necessary just to give us warm fuzzy feelings we’re not going to miss the train, but I’m definitely going to minimise the time in the lounge.

On the lower level, I assume you still have arrival/departure screens or monitors down there to assist?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:09 pm

Eh, I'm in there every week and it's not luxurious but it's fine and let's face it, when compared with the rest of Penn Station, it's a palace. Waiting in front of that screen can be a long stand (particularly if your train is late which it is a good deal of the time) and then a race down the stairs in a crowd. Achieving Select+ so I could trade from the lower level scrum to a seat and a bathroom was the best thing I ever did.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musicalbox
Eh, I'm in there every week and it's not luxurious but it's fine and let's face it, when compared with the rest of Penn Station, it's a palace. Waiting in front of that screen can be a long stand (particularly if your train is late which it is a good deal of the time) and then a race down the stairs in a crowd. Achieving Select+ so I could trade from the lower level scrum to a seat and a bathroom was the best thing I ever did.
It definitely seems a polarising topic here.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:39 am

Ha! From reading through past posts on here, you’re definitely not the only one. For the first trip, we may get there earlier than absolutely necessary just to give us warm fuzzy feelings we’re not going to miss the train, but I’m definitely going to minimise the time in the lounge.

On the lower level, I assume you still have arrival/departure screens or monitors down there to assist?
Yes, on the lower/"mezzanine" level there are a few 1970s-looking TV screens that show train departures (in 1970s-looking font on the screens).

In my experience, if you go downstairs to the lower/"mezzanine" level, head south just a bit from the staircase, and the Acela will likely board from one of those tracks (which are the tracks near where the Acela lounge on the upper/"main" level is).

I'd also try to get pre-assigned seats on the Acela if you can, to minimize hassle when boarding.

I'm taking a first-class trip on Amtrak today--I'm certainly not going to that lounge.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Yes, on the lower/"mezzanine" level there are a few 1970s-looking TV screens that show train departures (in 1970s-looking font on the screens).

In my experience, if you go downstairs to the lower/"mezzanine" level, head south just a bit from the staircase, and the Acela will likely board from one of those tracks (which are the tracks near where the Acela lounge on the upper/"main" level is).

I'd also try to get pre-assigned seats on the Acela if you can, to minimize hassle when boarding.

I'm taking a first-class trip on Amtrak today--I'm certainly not going to that lounge.
Cheers! Because we upgraded, I’ve already selected our seats, so hopefully that won’t be an issue. It’s one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. I’ve chosen to sit on the waterside (side facing towards the Atlantic if that makes sense) for both journeys on each leg. I’ve heard the views are much better that way for both trips.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:29 am

Cheers! Because we upgraded, I’ve already selected our seats, so hopefully that won’t be an issue. It’s one of the main reasons I wanted to upgrade. I’ve chosen to sit on the waterside (side facing towards the Atlantic if that makes sense) for both journeys on each leg. I’ve heard the views are much better that way for both trips.
Great, you'll be fine. I would just board from the lower level, without stress. One caveat: the first class car is on one end the train, next to one of the locomotives. When the train is boarding, the Amtrak staff sometimes blocks off that car from the rest of the train--the excuse is that there is a kitchen at one end of the car. So you can't necessarily get on the train anywhere and just walk through the cars to the first class car--it's necessary to actually board the first class car.

Also, please don't judge the US based on Penn Station.
octr202 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:18 am

I find the fear-mongering over the Acela lounge pretty hilarious (it's an older space full of padded chairs and business people, no more, no less) but if it makes it less crowded for the rest of us, then go for it.
octr202 and DoB840 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.