Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will amtrak refund for missed airline flight because of their mistake?

Old Jan 22, 19, 6:22 am
Original Poster

When I arrived on time at the station from Westerly RI to boston Ma at 5am this morning to catch a flight out of Logan airport, the train pulled up on the tracks normally used for trains going in the opposite direction, going to New York. There was no quick access to the other side of the tracks and the train quickly departed. There was no notification of this track change and I missed my train and therefore missed my flight out of Logan airport. I called Amtrak when I returned home and they said they didn't know why this happned as there was no construction scheduled and they would refund the cost of my Amtrak ticket. I asked about a refund for my missed flight and was told to call an hour later (8am) as someone would be in at that time that I could ask about a flight refund. It is a few minutes past 8 and I will call shortly but looking for any advice for my situation. Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What did Amtrak say when you called?

I would be shocked if it paid for your air ticket. Not so shocked if it provided some small customer service gesture.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What did Amtrak say when you called?

I would be shocked if it paid for your air ticket. Not so shocked if it provided some small customer service gesture.
Agreed with all of this. Amtrak almost certainly won't give you cash money for your flight; that's something that they'd expect you to have contingencies for on your end, whether it be alternate travel plans to the airport or rebooking with the airline. They may give a small voucher for the trouble, but a full refund of the Amtrak ticket price is probably about the best option that you have.

In future, I would've called the airline as well and see what options they have given the situation. It's possible that they could have rebooked you via phone, especially if the ticket you were booked with has the option for same-day change. It also looks like there's a commuter bus from Westerly to downtown Providence with a 6:30 AM departure, which if on time would be walkable to the Providence rail station to make the 7:50 AM commuter train to South Station (with an 8:57 AM arrival.) That's about one hour later than train 66's arrival into Boston, which would make the connection tighter but still "worth trying." There's another train that leaves at 8:25 AM with a 9:39 AM arrival as well. These are weekday-only options, but is a contingency should something like this happen in the future, and would likely get you to the airport at least before departure or shortly after (allowing you to plead your case for a rebooking under a flat-tire rule or similar.)

Search this Thread