Amtrak Monthly Increase

Old Dec 3, 18, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Amtrak Monthly Increase

Wow, Amtrak walked my monthly PHL-NYP for $75 bucks in October and hit me for another $100 this month. While realizing that itís still cheaper than 10 trip tickets for buying individual seats, pretty brutal increase.

Ridership is so high on the regionals, I guess they have no choice but to start using us as an ATM machine. Would be nice to see fares increase across the system, but Iím sure youíll still be able to ride the long distance trains for pennies.
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Funny enough looks like they lowered the 10-ride I used to buy for BOS-PVD. They had hiked it from $186 to $220, but now it's pricing at $200.

They are alienating customers on this route since they used to be just a hair more expensive over the commuter rail, but now it's at $20 a trip vs. $11.50 for the commuter rail.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:57 am
Original Poster

I get that itís more expensive and should be. Itís easier and faster than NJ Transit. Just surprised to get two bumps in three months. But if they are looking to cover losses elsewhere in the system, PHL-NYP is an easy place to look. Trains are full these days. But at least kick one NJT off the tracks add one Amtrak in the evening for that extra $$$.

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
Funny enough looks like they lowered the 10-ride I used to buy for BOS-PVD. They had hiked it from $186 to $220, but now it's pricing at $200.

They are alienating customers on this route since they used to be just a hair more expensive over the commuter rail, but now it's at $20 a trip vs. $11.50 for the commuter rail.
Old Dec 7, 18, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DailyGrind View Post
Would be nice to see fares increase across the system
For what it's worth, I looked for tickets on Pacific Surfliner the other day and it ended up coming out to $60ish round trip. I definitely remember it being much less than that before but I could be mistaken.

On the other hand, it's very possible this is holiday pricing too. I'll have to check dates in January to see.
Old Dec 10, 18, 3:20 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by DailyGrind View Post

I get that itís more expensive and should be. Itís easier and faster than NJ Transit. Just surprised to get two bumps in three months. But if they are looking to cover losses elsewhere in the system, PHL-NYP is an easy place to look. Trains are full these days. But at least kick one NJT off the tracks add one Amtrak in the evening for that extra $$$.
The problem is that, due to a tangle of improvements that NJT paid for to enable the Midtown Direct service, they "own" a bunch of slots. This isn't saying that Amtrak can't wedge an extra train per hour into the mix (I think they can at most hours, and indeed they're going to be adding additional Acelas once the Acela II order comes through), just that it isn't quite that simple.

Search this Thread