Amtrak Billing Mistake Recourse?

Old Nov 17, 18, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Amtrak Billing Mistake Recourse?

I purchased an Amtrak ticket partially with an Amtrak gift card. The train cancelled so I called to see if I could get a voucher (knowing that the Amtrak gift card payment would cause complications). The agent refunded it instead by accident. When I received the refund receipt, it showed the refund going back to two credit cards, not one credit card, and one gift card. I have no idea who the other credit card belongs to. I did not receive any sort of refund back to the gift card.
The agent apologized and told me to call the Refunds department when they were open to have this fixed.

When I called and was transferred to refunds, they flat out told me that it wasn't their problem and that federal law requires the refund be sent back to the initial payment methods (which they did not do!) and that I should call my bank, and then hung up on me.

I sent an email to customer relations. I'm going to wait a week before I go up the ladder and email people further up the chain.

Is there anything else I can do, or am I going to be out my fifty bucks? My Congresspeople are useless as I found out when I contacted them when Amtrak's charged a higher points redemption rate than stated on their website.
Old Nov 17, 18, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Emailing "up the chain" will do nothing. Simply cause you further delays as everything will wind up with the same group processing your existing complaint.

Your post was somewhat confusing, so it may be confusing to Amtrak as well. As I understand it, the refund should have been allocated back to the original forms of payment, e.g., but Amtrak refunded to a card which is not yours. If I have this correctly, that is the sole relevant fact and the rest of the description over-complicates the request.

I would send a new complaint which simply states that on whatever date, Amtrak refunded whatever amount to a card which does not belong to you, rather than to the proper card. Give the two numbers and ask that Amtrak fix it. Leave the rest out and make it 2-3 short sentences.
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by diburning View Post
I purchased an Amtrak ticket partially with an Amtrak gift card. The train cancelled so I called to see if I could get a voucher (knowing that the Amtrak gift card payment would cause complications). The agent refunded it instead by accident. When I received the refund receipt, it showed the refund going back to two credit cards, not one credit card, and one gift card. I have no idea who the other credit card belongs to. I did not receive any sort of refund back to the gift card.
The agent apologized and told me to call the Refunds department when they were open to have this fixed.

When I called and was transferred to refunds, they flat out told me that it wasn't their problem and that federal law requires the refund be sent back to the initial payment methods (which they did not do!) and that I should call my bank, and then hung up on me.

I sent an email to customer relations. I'm going to wait a week before I go up the ladder and email people further up the chain.

Is there anything else I can do, or am I going to be out my fifty bucks? My Congresspeople are useless as I found out when I contacted them when Amtrak's charged a higher points redemption rate than stated on their website.
When you bought the ticket with the a gift card, was it a gift card or an Evoucher? Did you purchase the Evoucher or Gift Card from someone else or was it your Evoucher or Gift Card from the very beginning?

I had something similar happen. I purchased an Evoucher and used it to pay for a ticket. The train was canceled and they issued a refund to the original credit card, instead of another Evoucher. I was definitely upset, but they wouldn't do anything.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Nov 19, 18 at 8:38 pm
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

An actual Amtrak gift card.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:34 pm

That's definitely unusual. Good luck and please let us know what happens.
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Success! Customer relations issued me a voucher today.
rafkeduck, jebr and Rachel1 like this.

Search this Thread