Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

NY Penn: boarding Amtrak from West End Concourse?

Old Oct 3, 18, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, UA Silver, MR Plat, HH Gold, Amtrak Select, Avis Preferred Plus

I have disembarked a few Amtrak trains through the new West End Concourse. But I was wondering if anybody has any experience boarding Amtrak trains from that side. I don't believe the screens show track information for Amtrak, and not sure if the Amtrak announcements are audible. Even so, the area seems very quiet, with easy access to the platforms.
Old Oct 3, 18, 10:06 pm

The question comes up on here with some regularity about boarding outside of the main concourse via NJ transit or lower levels.

I believe only 2 platforms that serve the west end concourse serve Amtrak trains. The rest are exclusively LIRR. So it's a pretty good roll of the dice unless you know you're trains boarding from one of those. Also, if you get sent back it's a long hike to the central concourse.

I've done it at least once mainly by accident coming off the C subway. I just remember a really long walk on the platform since the train was parked to be closer to the intended boarding area.
Old Oct 10, 18, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
With the new West End Concourse you can now access all tracks that Amtrak operates from, it's my favorite spot to board now. Although (unfortunately) there are no Amtrak monitors, you can download the "find your way" app to your phone which posts the track numbers for Amtrak trains at NYP. I find I can usually walk right down and beat the crowd by getting on the rear of the train (when going to Boston).
paytonc and rafkeduck like this.
Old Oct 10, 18, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT PP, UA Silver, AA PPro, Amtrak Select Plus
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
With the new West End Concourse you can now access all tracks that Amtrak operates from, it's my favorite spot to board now. Although (unfortunately) there are no Amtrak monitors, you can download the "find your way" app to your phone which posts the track numbers for Amtrak trains at NYP. I find I can usually walk right down and beat the crowd by getting on the rear of the train (when going to Boston).
Thanks for the tip. I've never heard of this app until now. How timely is the track info in the app? Does it automatically refresh? I usually stand downstairs at Penn, staring at the screens until the track posts.
Old Oct 10, 18, 1:18 pm

I find it is in real-time with the monitors, sometimes even ahead.
Old Oct 10, 18, 3:02 pm

Awesome! Didn't know about the app or the expanded concourse!
Old Oct 10, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA(Plat), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, IHG, Marriott(S)
Try to find a public plug for device charging in Penn Station other than in the Club Acela. I walked all over and found none. The West End Concourse has charging stations.
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by NovaEngr View Post
Try to find a public plug for device charging in Penn Station other than in the Club Acela. I walked all over and found none. The West End Concourse has charging stations.
The Amtrak waiting room on the 8th ave concourse should have a charging station.
Old Oct 12, 18, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
I find it is in real-time with the monitors, sometimes even ahead.
I just downloaded the app and its not showing me any track information - just blank information for trains that should be arriving or are departing. Obviously the GPS/mapping features only work in the station, but I would think the track data should not be impacted.
rafkeduck likes this.
Old Oct 12, 18, 4:49 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
I just downloaded the app and its not showing me any track information - just blank information for trains that should be arriving or are departing. Obviously the GPS/mapping features only work in the station, but I would think the track data should not be impacted.
Same here.
Old Oct 14, 18, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, MR LT Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat, HY Globalist
I use the “departurevision” website for this purpose, it always works well:

https://m.njtransit.com/mo/mo_servle...ageAction=DvTo
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT PP, UA Silver, AA PPro, Amtrak Select Plus
Departure Vision does not show all Amtrak trains.

I sent an email to Amtrak about the app not showing track numbers and their response was: "Track Numbers are only provided at the Station on the day of travel."
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
That's weird... worked for me this morning, took a screenshot here.
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:43 am

Programs: AA(Plat), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, IHG, Marriott(S)
Departure Vision shows all NYP departures heading west toward Newark and beyond, including Amtrak trains. That will work for heading that direction, It does not show departures heading east toward New Haven and Boston. One trick would be to have an idea when the eastbound Amtrak train left Newark, then assume NY Penn arrival about 15-20 minutes later. Look and listen for an arriving eastbound Amtrak in the mid-teens tracks. Odds are, that's it.
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:48 am

No track numbers for me when I look in the new Amtrak app. As for departure vision even if I was heading south (and I rarely do) I want the arrival board which posts tracks before they show on the departure board. I don’t remember them ever announcing a track number for an Amtrak arrival in station.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: