FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   NY Penn Acela Lounge closing for renovations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1929928-ny-penn-acela-lounge-closing-renovations.html)

musicalbox Sep 10, 2018 5:39 pm

NY Penn Acela Lounge closing for renovations?

I saw on another forum that this was happening and that AL staffers confirmed it but did not have information on when, for how long, or if there might be a replacement area. As someone who busts their hump each year to get enough points for S+ specifically to be in this lounge, I'm a little disturbed by this. Anyone have any other info?

Pretzelsandpeanuts Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Hopefully they are making it better. It’s pretty small and the food and beverage selections are severely lacking.

DCA writer Sep 10, 2018 8:53 pm

The Trains newswire posted an item about this last week after Amtrak had a media call: "Another fall project will be a revitalized Club Acela, enlarged and modernized. The club will be closed during the reconstruction, with some of the functions available at the ticketed waiting room during this time."

I'm not sure why they'd want to do anything too involved when the Moynihan Train Hall is supposed to open in late 2020 (okay, that's Gov. Cuomo talking, so you may want to take that under advisement) with its own ClubAcela.

musicalbox Sep 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Oh it's awful. But I really want something temporary in its place so I can at least find out track numbers ahead of the masses.

And I doubt they'll improve what I hate the most, the rude desk agents. They're super nice to their favorites and often plain nasty to those who aren't (I sit near the front to run for my train and it's painful to listen to).

musicalbox Sep 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer (Post 30190534)
The Trains newswire posted an item about this last week after Amtrak had a media call: "Another fall project will be a revitalized Club Acela, enlarged and modernized. The club will be closed during the reconstruction, with some of the functions available at the ticketed waiting room during this time."

Interesting, thanks. I hope early track announcements make the cut but I can't see how, practically.

ibrandsguest Sep 12, 2018 3:45 pm

The ClubAcela is so run-down and unappealing that I'd be almost afraid to go in again. It desperately needs a cleaning, a paint job and replacement of some of the aluminum foil that covered things on the ceiling. Perhaps it's just getting a basic repair?

cortez1973 Sep 13, 2018 9:26 am

Philly's lounge is closing this weekend but only for 2-3 days. All of the furniture they replaced just last year will be replaced again and some other upgrades, but considering that it's only two days I don't expect much to change.

DCA writer Sep 19, 2018 3:02 pm

I talked to one of the agents this afternoon. She said she had received no word on scheduling but did confirm that it would involve expanding the lounge. And pushing out a wall or two in a place as crowded as NYP would definitely explain an extended closure.