Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

VIA Preference: $200 for 10,000 Preference Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Deal for the month of September and October is travel 10 segments on VIA Rail in any class of service, and get 10,000 bonus points.

https://www.viapreference.com/en/offers

Pre-registration required. Minimum segment cost is $20 for Adults. So a segment run could cost as little as $200 + GST. Trivially accomplished in a day if you live in the Windsor-Quebec City corridor or can get yourself to YTZ/YYZ/YUL/YOW/YQB/YXU/YKF/YGK/etc. Probably requires an overnight everywhere else in the VIA network.

GET ON BOARD WITH BONUS POINTS

Earn points at record speeds this fall. The more segments you travel, the more bonus points you'll earn. And the more you'll see too.

Book between August 23rd and October 31st and travel between September 1st and October 31st, in any class, to earn up to 10,000 bonus points.* Don't forget to register!

Here's what you could be earning:
  1. Travel 4-5 segments, get 1,000 points
  2. Travel 6-7 segments, get 3,000 points
  3. Travel 8-9 segments, get 6,000 points
  4. Travel 10 segments or more, get 10,000 points
13,000 points needed for a Toronto-Vancouver trip in Sleeper Class. Partial redemptions are also available. Redemptions occasionally go on sale as well at 40% off in the off-season. No surcharges, literally redeem your points for a ticket. A Cabin for 1 sleeper ticket with full flexibility typically goes for $2943, although discounts down to $1700 are available for non-flexible reservations.

(sorry mods, there's no Canadian VIA Preference forum....please move if appropriate, don't know if the Mileage Run forum would be a better place or not!).

Last edited by pitz; Aug 26, 2018 at 3:10 am
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
10 segments in one day?

have you been able to plan it?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by foreigncontent
have you been able to plan it?
Pretty trivial in most of the network if you have a day or two to burn. Any starting point you have in mind?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by pitz
Pretty trivial in most of the network if you have a day or two to burn. Any starting point you have in mind?

I'm flexible. will be in Montreal and Toronto over the next month. Just with frequency it looked a lot of wasted time don't think 8 segment in one day is viable (plus via not really good at being on time). I am however starting to wonder if there system is sophisticated enough to recognise if I do Toronto-Oshawa, and then Oshawa-Cobourg on the same train.

maybe Kingston is better starting point because I can get a dual number train that splits off Montreal and Ottawa
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by foreigncontent
I'm flexible. will be in Montreal and Toronto over the next month. Just with frequency it looked a lot of wasted time don't think 8 segment in one day is viable (plus via not really good at being on time). I am however starting to wonder if there system is sophisticated enough. to recognise if I do Toronto-Oshawa, and then Oshawa-Cobourg on the same train.
"sophisticated enough". Lol. This is VIA we're talking about here. It'll work.

Last edited by pitz; Sep 5, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:21 pm

Ottawa main station to Fallowfield seems to work. 8 trips down, two to go.
foreigncontent and pitz like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:05 pm

was able to run 4 segments Toronto-Oakville in one morning. second one was a bit tight, so made sure train were both on schedule before boarding (if not would have us GO to come back as no other trains until 5pm). this is cheapest segment from Toronto, with enough trains to do a reasonable run. Note the first train was the Amtrack to NY, which requires ID to board.

now let's see if all credits go as expected
pitz likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Ok ended up booking. $245.70 for 10 segments. On The Canadian. Overnight in YWG.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

All done, phew. That was a long 40 hours on the train though. Staff thought the concept of a segment run was a bit weird, but took my tickets nonetheless.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Credited. Nice deal, eh? @mcott, @foreigncontent, did yours work out?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Credited. Nice deal, eh? @mcott, @foreigncontent, did yours work out?
My points posted today. Looking at the redemption table, either my father and I are doing a R/T from Montreal to Halifax, or the two of us will take my nephews (his grand kids) on a one way, and fly back to YOW.

I got to know the staff from taking the same two trains on Saturday for two weeks, and Sunday for three weeks. Very quickly you get accustomed to seeking out the Service Manager, saying "hi", and asking them to validate your ticket before the trip.

All in all, great value for the 226.00 spent
pitz likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mcott
All in all, great value for the 226.00 spent
Yeah had to spend a bit more, but went for 2 nice meals in the dining car, had 2 sets of onboard entertainment, dined with a nice Australian backpacker and a married couple from Paris. And received a gift for travelling on their flagship train on VIA's 40th birthday. Same crew both ways too.

Will probably do the YVR-YYZ trip over the winter with a long stopover in YXE.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:51 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Stumbled across this from a post you made in the AC/Aeroplan Forum. Will have see if they offer something similar next year.

Thanks!
pitz likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Stumbled across this from a post you made in the AC/Aeroplan Forum. Will have see if they offer something similar next year.

Thanks!
I don't think there's been anything this generous. Usually the Fall promo deal for the VIA Preference program involves bonuses for travelling in the Windsor/Sarnia-Quebec City "Corridor". But the Black Friday deals are usually amongst the best for buying revenue tickets. Well they did put on a really cheap pass deal last year for students, which apparently was quite a crazy affair for the month of July, 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.