Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Use of Companion Ticket with NEW Mastercard Promo

Old Jul 23, 18, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Now that Amtrak has upped the game with the MC and doing 35,000 points vs the older offer, and including the companion pass - I am about to jump in.

Looking to do New Orleans-Chicago-Seattle trip later this year or in the Spring. Maybe some stops along the way. Roomette for parts or all of the trip. Help me understand how companion pass works with multi city ticket. What fares does it and does not work with, etc.

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 18, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
It's only valid on paid, one-way coach (or Acela "biz," which is coach) fares. The most value you could get out of it would be a long trip, booked somewhat close in.
Old Sep 25, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
It's only valid on paid, one-way coach (or Acela "biz," which is coach) fares. The most value you could get out of it would be a long trip, booked somewhat close in.
It's actually valid on a round trip (and now is valid on two one ways, they now deposit 2 one way vouchers that can be used separately).

Unfortunately you are completely shut out of using the voucher if you want to ride in a sleeper.
Old Oct 3, 18, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
It's actually valid on a round trip (and now is valid on two one ways, they now deposit 2 one way vouchers that can be used separately).

Unfortunately you are completely shut out of using the voucher if you want to ride in a sleeper.
I recall reading somewhere that it is possible to book with the companion in coach, and later upgrade to a sleeper. I'm trying to find where I saw this information, but am curious whether anyone has been successful doing this.

Search this Thread