Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

From Washington to Miami? Scenery trip or boring?

Old Jun 23, 18, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bashing people with special needs shall not be tollerated.

Hello! Since I did never took Amtrak, I was thinking to change this with a trip from Washington probably down to Miami, during the summer months. I see they have the "Viewliner Bedroom" or the "Roomette". If I take the train it will be one of this 2.

But my real question: is this a scenery route? Or is it just... well.. a trip from A to B?

Second question: since I will need an onward flight to Panama City (Panama), or to the Caribbeans, which major airports are on the route, without having to change train? As far as I understand its Charleston, Savannah, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Right? Miami would have the advantage of having a direct fight to PTY, still I might consider visiting a nice, new city.

Thanks a lot for your help and any advice!
Old Jun 23, 18, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
There are nonstop flights from MCO, FLL, and MIA to PTY.

I don't think that the Amtrak route from WAS to Florida is particularly scenic. And you should check the Amtrak timetable: a good part of your journey is likely to occur at night.
Old Jun 26, 18, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I've done the run down to Florida maybe a dozen times. Not the most scenic Amtrak run, but if you do book the train be sure to book train 97/98, the Silver Meteor. The price will probably be higher than the Silver Star (91/92) but it includes meals in the Dining car.

The FLL Amtrak station has a shuttle to the Airport I believe and is definitely the closest. MIA is a bit more work and MCO is definitely the worst.

Be sure to book a flight to PTY the day after Amtrak gets you to Florida. The on time performance south of Washington is not great, even into MCO, your train can easily be delayed 4-5 hours.
Old Jun 27, 18, 12:24 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
And, the Silver Meteor is more direct, as it does not take a detour to Tampa before continuing to Miami.
Old Jun 27, 18, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tortellini View Post
Hello! Since I did never took Amtrak, I was thinking to change this with a trip from Washington probably down to Miami, during the summer months. I see they have the "Viewliner Bedroom" or the "Roomette". If I take the train it will be one of this 2.

But my real question: is this a scenery route? Or is it just... well.. a trip from A to B?

Second question: since I will need an onward flight to Panama City (Panama), or to the Caribbeans, which major airports are on the route, without having to change train? As far as I understand its Charleston, Savannah, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Right? Miami would have the advantage of having a direct fight to PTY, still I might consider visiting a nice, new city.

Thanks a lot for your help and any advice!
If you're going by yourself, a Roomette is fine, no need to pay the extra money for a Bedroom.

According to Wikipedia, Copa flies from Tampa to Panama City and Spirit will begin flying from Orlando in October. You could also take the Crescent from Washington to Atlanta and fly from Atlanta to Panama City, although that trip will absolutely not be scenic, since most of it is in darkness. Flying from Miami is going to give you the most number of options in terms of flights, however.
Old Jul 22, 18, 7:34 pm

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
Only if one considers rivers, bayous, swamps, lakes, etc., "boring."
There is good East Coast scenery on the Silver Service routes.

It's similar to WAS to southern VA. Lots of rivers to cross and following the tracks.

Of course, the scenery isn't in the same league as the western LDs, but still, it's fine.
Old Jul 26, 18, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by dougdd View Post
Only if one considers rivers, bayous, swamps, lakes, etc., "boring."
There is good East Coast scenery on the Silver Service routes.

It's similar to WAS to southern VA. Lots of rivers to cross and following the tracks.

Of course, the scenery isn't in the same league as the western LDs, but still, it's fine.
I don't consider such "boring," and I generally find something to like about every train ride I've ever taken, but TBH, the railside scenery just about anywhere throughout the Southeast is...not memorable, to say the least (outside of WV's New River Gorge). And as an overnight train, the majority of travel happens when it's dark out.

That said, between the Silver Meteor and Silver Star, I found the Silver Star slightly more memorable as the trip through the area around Southern Pines, NC was at least a bit pretty. I honestly don't recall anything particularly memorable on the Silver Meteor's route.

Search this Thread