FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Boston South Station Acela Lounge Temporarily Closed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1915942-boston-south-station-acela-lounge-temporarily-closed.html)

rill2503456 Jun 22, 2018 2:37 pm

Boston South Station Acela Lounge Temporarily Closed

As the title says. Apparently there was flooding last week and they are repairing the lounge now. The agent I spoke to indicated it wouldn't be closed for too much longer, but O suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Incidentally, has anybody here has experience working with Amtrak's customer service? I'm a bit annoyed since I planned to work out of the lounge and only realized it was closed when I arrived at the station. Are they willing to issue a partial refund or voucher for things like this?

Kjell Werner Jul 5, 2018 12:30 pm

As of today July 5th the Club is still closed. No mention of it on the Sputh Station web site or anywhere else. I spoke to a station agent and they were less then helpful as well. Calling Amtrak just got me a "circumstances out of oir control" answer? I wonder what these circumstances are that prevent Amtrak from posting the temporary closure on their web site...

Tip for the time being: If you need to store luggage, use the Red Cap service (they work on a tip basis). Very friendly personnel and they even get you priority boarding. And for hanging out there is a little known Starbucks across the street in the One Financial Center building. Plenty of chairs in the lobby and it is air conditioned (which South Station itself is not).

joelliot Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am

Originally Posted by rill2503456 (Post 29895943)
As the title says. Apparently there was flooding last week and they are repairing the lounge now. The agent I spoke to indicated it wouldn't be closed for too much longer, but O suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Incidentally, has anybody here has experience working with Amtrak's customer service? I'm a bit annoyed since I planned to work out of the lounge and only realized it was closed when I arrived at the station. Are they willing to issue a partial refund or voucher for things like this?

...still closed as of today, 11 July. Amtrak Red Cap outside said the damage was considerable and the lounge would be close for “some time.”

hi55us Jul 18, 2018 1:02 pm

Will check in on it today, not optimistic. Hope this doesn't signal the end of the Boston Club Acela which was one of the best in the network.

wxguy Jul 26, 2018 9:44 am

I spoke to one of the Club agents at South Station today. The event happened five weeks ago: a pipe burst in the ceiling of the women's room. The ceiling collapsed. Water poured out for 45 minutes before it could be shut off.

The area is still being dried out. Then everything will be ripped up and replaced -- a complete renovation. They are in the process of design and awarding a contract for the work. It will be at least two to three months before the work is completed.

There's a new, very small Acela waiting area within the Amtrak ticketing office, roped off with chairs and electrical outlets, and the WiFi is working. If you ask, the agent will get you water and a newspaper.

physioprof Jul 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 30015550)
I spoke to one of the Club agents at South Station today. The event happened five weeks ago: a pipe burst in the ceiling of the women's room. The ceiling collapsed. Water poured out for 45 minutes before it could be shut off.

The area is still being dried out. Then everything will be ripped up and replaced -- a complete renovation. They are in the process of design and awarding a contract for the work. It will be at least two to three months before the work is completed.

There's a new, very small Acela waiting area within the Amtrak ticketing office, roped off with chairs and electrical outlets, and the WiFi is working. If you ask, the agent will get you water and a newspaper.

Thanks for the update!

trevorlane Nov 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I just went to the lounge and it's reopened.

uppereastsider Nov 13, 2018 5:57 am

Originally Posted by trevorlane (Post 30422265)

Great news! I'll be in South Station tomorrow afternoon.

Great, informative first post on FT after 4+ years ^

Sicariis Nov 16, 2018 6:31 am

Would love to hear about changes, any service improvements, or pictures. I think my biggest complaint was the inability to hear boarding announcements if not siting right at the front. The drinks and snacks could always use an upgrade as well.

hi55us Nov 16, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by trevorlane (Post 30422265)

Observed that as well on Monday, from the outside nothing looked different, interested in a report on what the interior looks like now.

ImprovGal Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am

It's been renamed to Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge instead of Cub Acela. I'd only been in this lounge once before the water break, so my memory of details is a bit fuzzy. I don't think any good/beverage changes have been made, although the water/ice/ice water dispenser may be new. Some, but not all, of the furnishings appear new. Still can't really hear the station calls from the back by the restrooms.

NovaEngr Nov 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ImprovGal (Post 30442201)
It's been renamed to Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge instead of Cub Acela. I'd only been in this lounge once before the water break, so my memory of details is a bit fuzzy. I don't think any good/beverage changes have been made, although the water/ice/ice water dispenser may be new. Some, but not all, of the furnishings appear new. Still can't really hear the station calls from the back by the restrooms.

The name change is interesting. Amtrak lounge access rules permit United Club members to access Club Acela branded lounges. They do not have access to Metropolitan Lounges - previously only in Chicago and Los Angeles. With this name change, will UC members now be barred from the lounge in Boston?

GoAmtrak Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm

There’s also a Met Lounge in PDX and a handful of other unbranded lounges for sleeper or business class pax in the Midwest and South.

radiowell Nov 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by NovaEngr (Post 30442807)
The name change is interesting. Amtrak lounge access rules permit United Club members to access Club Acela branded lounges. They do not have access to Metropolitan Lounges - previously only in Chicago and Los Angeles. With this name change, will UC members now be barred from the lounge in Boston?

This is my concern as well.

wxguy Nov 20, 2018 6:10 am

I stopped by this morning. A decent refresh. It has that "new carpet smell," plus new furniture, redone bathrooms, and a new reception area for the agent. Instead of a soda fountain machine, there is a fridge with cans of soda and juice. The same snack basket and newspaper selection. Of interest are the very nice historic photos of South Station over the years.