Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG / Marriott Amtrak transfer

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
SPG / Marriott Amtrak transfer

Has anyone seen an announcement if the Amtrak partnership will still continue?

I heavily utilize the free upgrades you can get for 10k points, and would like to know if I should add some more points to my account via SPG, or not to worry as Marriott will cover it
acrollet and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Good question, I've heard nothing.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
The SPG site confirms this will end at the end of July:

Take the scenic route: Transfer your Starpoints with Amtrak at 1:1 ratio until July 31, 2018. After this date, members will no longer be able to transfer Starpoints to rail miles with Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by River in Sight
The SPG site confirms this will end at the end of July:

Take the scenic route: Transfer your Starpoints with Amtrak at 1:1 ratio until July 31, 2018. After this date, members will no longer be able to transfer Starpoints to rail miles with Amtrak Guest Rewards.

Good to know... will definitely transfer a few out! Thanks for the link

Now the follow up - has Marriott said they would consider or are bringing in Amtrak, since that link indicated it was SPG only and on the last day of the SPG program
Old Jun 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
What a shame, from being transfer partners with Chase and SPG now there will be nothing. Too bad BofA doesn't fire up a program with their co-brand partners, I would love a card that earns points that transfer to Alaska, Amtrak, Virgin Atlantic and Asiana.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Here's alink to the Amtrak page with additional details of the partnership termination: https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/info/news
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
At a 1 to 1 ration, this doesn't appear to be a very good point value. You will be able to get 3 MR points per Starwood Point.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Armani
At a 1 to 1 ration, this doesn't appear to be a very good point value. You will be able to get 3 MR points per Starwood Point.
Everybody has their own way to maximize points.. for me, my job requires a large amount of NYC to DC trips, of which I normally take the Acela. It cost over 120 dollars to upgrade from business class to first, but I've had a 100% success rate in using upgrade coupons. They cost 10,000 for 4 of them, so I'm getting at least 480 dollars of value, which I'm not sure I can get that same value for 30k marriott... but I'm converting over enough SPG points that I'm planning to send some Amtrak points to keep the coffers full, especially since this ends my ability to transfer points into Amtrak
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Everybody has their own way to maximize points.. for me, my job requires a large amount of NYC to DC trips, of which I normally take the Acela. It cost over 120 dollars to upgrade from business class to first, but I've had a 100% success rate in using upgrade coupons. They cost 10,000 for 4 of them, so I'm getting at least 480 dollars of value, which I'm not sure I can get that same value for 30k marriott... but I'm converting over enough SPG points that I'm planning to send some Amtrak points to keep the coffers full, especially since this ends my ability to transfer points into Amtrak
That seems like a good value and use. I don't live in NEC so use my Amtrak points for sleeper travel on LD trains. The new rewards requirements have dramatically increased point requirements, especially for bedrooms. I really miss the Continental airline partnership and point transfers. I had some great trips using CO miles and 30K Amtrak rewards.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This is just what you value it. This SPG -> Amtrak is highly valuable. Amtrak point is worth about 2.9 cpp, higher than SPG's 2.7 cpp. MR point is 1/3, or about 0.9 cpp.

A lot people transfer SPG points to airline, or the only way they use the SPG points. Airline points normally worth about 1.5 cpp. Even with the 25% bonus, you still only get 1.875 cpp when you transfer SPG to airline. A bad move IMO.

I'm going to transfer some of my SPG points to Amtrak now. Still park most of the SPG points at SPG/MR. Have in mind the train ride on Adirondack this fall.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GfL
I transferred 20K SPG points (which turned into 25K with SPG’s bonus) into Amtrak yesterday. In fact I didn’t even know that transfer opportunity was available at all until I got the email telling me that it was going away! I use Amtrak a lot more than SPG (or Marriott), so this transfer is quite helpful for me.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
This is just what you value it. This SPG -> Amtrak is highly valuable. Amtrak point is worth about 2.9 cpp, higher than SPG's 2.7 cpp. MR point is 1/3, or about 0.9 cpp.

A lot people transfer SPG points to airline, or the only way they use the SPG points. Airline points normally worth about 1.5 cpp. Even with the 25% bonus, you still only get 1.875 cpp when you transfer SPG to airline. A bad move IMO.

I'm going to transfer some of my SPG points to Amtrak now. Still park most of the SPG points at SPG/MR. Have in mind the train ride on Adirondack this fall.
You convinced me. I transferred 20k points today and also received the 5k bonus from Starwood. I don't have many opportunities to earn Amtrak miles and I'm disappointed with the new point requirements for Marriott, so I agree this is a good use for the points.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:19 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

You convinced me. I transferred 20k points today and also received the 5k bonus from Starwood. I don't have many opportunities to earn Amtrak miles and I'm disappointed with the new point requirements for Marriott, so I agree this is a good use for the points.
Are you sure about this? It is known that SPG does not give out the 25% bonus with transfer to Amtrak, but only to airlines....
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BA GfL
Are you sure about this? It is known that SPG does not give out the 25% bonus with transfer to Amtrak, but only to airlines....
I did it two days ago and got the 25% bonus.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:34 pm

When I was requesting the transfer, the Starwood website showed the 5000 bonus miles added to my 20000 pt transfer request. However, my Amtrak Rewards account only received the 20000 miles and no bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.