Wiki Posts
Search

Anderson brings FCM to Amtrak

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Anderson brings FCM to Amtrak

Have a ticket booked on 177 tonight BOS-NYP, roughly 3 hours before departure I get a notification from the Amtrak app to upgrade to Business for $19.

Definitely not worth $19 for a a little more legroom and a free can of soda, but interesting idea nonetheless. I snagged a $39 saver fare on the trip and I think Biz was ~2x the price.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
This is actually a great development. Prior to e-ticketing, Amtrak used to offer on-board upgrades for the lowest published accommodation charge bucket, including for sleepers. It was very low-tech as it involved the conductor writing out a paper ticket and calling their operations center to block off the space (or, in the pre-cell-phone era, having the next staffed station's agent do so). Some conductors even made announcements to advertise the availability of paid upgrade space. There were also "phone-based FCM" offers: When inventory management identified rooms that were likely to be perishable inventory, they'd call booked coach pax a day or two before travel and offer upgrades at an unpublished discount. I benefited from both programs many times in the late '90s-'00s.

More recently, with e-ticketing, on-board upgrades were abolished and there were no special offers of any kind. So, upgraded seats/rooms would go unsold even as they priced into high-bucket inventory. Sounds like Amtrak is getting smarter about this. Unlike at Delta, FCM is much less likely to cause elites to miss out on upgrades (unless it rolls out to certain peak Acela departures).
hi55us, Armani, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
This is actually a great development. Prior to e-ticketing, Amtrak used to offer on-board upgrades for the lowest published accommodation charge bucket, including for sleepers. It was very low-tech as it involved the conductor writing out a paper ticket and calling their operations center to block off the space (or, in the pre-cell-phone era, having the next staffed station's agent do so). Some conductors even made announcements to advertise the availability of paid upgrade space. There were also "phone-based FCM" offers: When inventory management identified rooms that were likely to be perishable inventory, they'd call booked coach pax a day or two before travel and offer upgrades at an unpublished discount. I benefited from both programs many times in the late '90s-'00s.

More recently, with e-ticketing, on-board upgrades were abolished and there were no special offers of any kind. So, upgraded seats/rooms would go unsold even as they priced into high-bucket inventory. Sounds like Amtrak is getting smarter about this. Unlike at Delta, FCM is much less likely to cause elites to miss out on upgrades (unless it rolls out to certain peak Acela departures).
If these offers only come a few hours before departure, they will hardly affect the use of upgrade certs, the shortest of which are twelve hours prior to departure. They would only affect travelers trying to change trains into a first class within the shorter time frame for FCM upgrades.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does FCM mean?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"First Class Monetization". It is a term originated by DL passengers upset that DL, a for-profit company, was selling F seats on flights for less than the full fare difference and thus depriving people who wanted freebie UG's.

Here, I guess it is people complaining that if Amtrak sells UG's, they won't be able to use UG certificates. I'm not sure I understand how that is.

For what it's worth, OP may not want to pay $19 for a J seat on a regional, but that's fine. There are tons of people who will.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
"First Class Monetization". It is a term originated by DL passengers upset that DL, a for-profit company, was selling F seats on flights for less than the full fare difference and thus depriving people who wanted freebie UG's.

Here, I guess it is people complaining that if Amtrak sells UG's, they won't be able to use UG certificates. I'm not sure I understand how that is.

For what it's worth, OP may not want to pay $19 for a J seat on a regional, but that's fine. There are tons of people who will.
You guessed wrong. No one's been complaining about it so far
GoAmtrak and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Oh I'm certainly not complaining. Amtrak's going to have to enhance their Business Class on the regional trains to get me to pay $19 for it. It's worth about $5 to me for the (slightly) extra legroom and free non-alc drink. I'd pay about $40 for a BOS-NYP acela upgrade to F since it offers a free meal and 2-1 seating.
GoAmtrak and rafkeduck like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Has anyone had this happen on the Acela too?

And for a counterpoint, the 19 might be worth it IF the paid upgrade counts as a paid F ticket, allowing for additional TQPs, which can be helpful for status chasers.

Also, would be totally worth it on the ALB-NYP trains as biz class there is 2-1 seating with deep recline
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Has anyone had this happen on the Acela too?

And for a counterpoint, the 19 might be worth it IF the paid upgrade counts as a paid F ticket, allowing for additional TQPs, which can be helpful for status chasers.

Also, would be totally worth it on the ALB-NYP trains as biz class there is 2-1 seating with deep recline
My return was on the Acela and tickets where still available in F, but did not receive an upgrade offer.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I wonder if/how these UGs count for AGR points.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Have a ticket booked on 177 tonight BOS-NYP, roughly 3 hours before departure I get a notification from the Amtrak app to upgrade to Business for $19.

Definitely not worth $19 for a a little more legroom and a free can of soda, but interesting idea nonetheless. I snagged a $39 saver fare on the trip and I think Biz was ~2x the price.
I'd pay $19 if Business Class was the 2-1 recliner seats, AND they were actually functional, but unfortunately there's no way of knowing that in advance.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
That may be one of the very few good things Airline Anderson has done for Amtrak (if he's even responsible for the change).

All Fly Boy has wanted to do is remove each and every amenity which makes train travel special.
Then, when ridership plummets, he can justify discontinuing those trains.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Are people still getting these FCM offers? I travel Amtrak frequently and have yet to get one.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
In App Upgrade Offer

Has anyone ever gotten this? I got this the other day and had no way to activate it and the agents at penn station told me upgrading was $200..

Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Did you try to upgrade in the app? You do that through "modify trip," picking the same date then your train. The upgrade option should be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.