FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Acela First Class - Assigned seating coming soon (And new trainsets?) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1911816-acela-first-class-assigned-seating-coming-soon-new-trainsets.html)

pprrff May 30, 2018 10:19 am

Acela First Class - Assigned seating coming soon (And new trainsets?)

Got this email:

You are a highly valued Amtrak Guest Rewards® Select Plus member, and I want to keep you informed about a new initiative designed to make your Amtrak® travel experience even better: assigned seating. Customers have long requested assigned seating on our trains. I'm pleased to let you know we are now offering assigned seating for customers traveling in Acela® First class on select departures.

Assigned seating will allow you to select your preferred seat in First class ahead of time: choosing between a single or double seat, a window or an aisle, or a two‑ or four‑person conference table. It makes your boarding experience more relaxed knowing your seat will be waiting for you. When you make your reservation on one of these trains, a seat will automatically be assigned for you. To obtain your preferred seat, you can modify it any time prior to departure at Amtrak.com, through our mobile app or with a ticket agent. There is no fee to choose or modify your seat.

We will introduce seat assignments on more departures this year as we continue to prepare for the new Acela trainsets coming in 2021. Hopefully, you've noticed our other improvement projects. Customers throughout the Northeast Corridor are now getting clear and timely updates on Twitter (@AmtrakNEC) regarding train delays and other information that may affect their trip. In New York, restroom renovations are nearly complete and design is underway for a refresh of the ticketed waiting room and an expanded ClubAcela®. This work coincides with early construction on the future home of Amtrak's New York City passenger operations: a spacious new Train Hall in Moynihan Station, located across Eighth Avenue.

Thank you for choosing Amtrak. By focusing on our customers, we're working to become the best passenger railroad in the world. We look forward to seeing you on board soon.
Sincerely,Tim Griffin
Amtrak Chief Marketing Officer

wordsmith May 30, 2018 11:27 am

I'd like to see a list of "select departures." Does anybody know?

BeantownFlyer May 30, 2018 11:56 am

Originally Posted by wordsmith (Post 29809722)

Exactly - not available on any of my current reservations and I can’t find this functionality.

Meanwhile, those of us that have been Acela passengers from the beginning will remember the brief and ill fated attempt to have assigned seating. It shouldn’t be this hard, but I don’t know how they are going to make this work if some trains have assigned seating and some don’t!

hi55us May 31, 2018 2:25 pm

Right now it's like one NYP-BOS Acela, I want to say 2190, the morning departure out of NYP.

They really need to up their communication strategy on assigned seating on Acela's. I routinely ride the Northeast regional but I'd consider paying for the Acela if it included assigned seating.

BobH May 31, 2018 6:12 pm

From another message board.....

Beginning this week, Amtrak will offer assigned first-class seating on one daily Acela Express in each direction between New York and Washington, and on one Saturday-only trip from New York to Boston.

Initially, the trains offering first class reserved seats are as follows:

— Northbound from New York: Saturday 8 a.m. (train number 2290)

— Southbound from New York: Monday-Friday 6 a.m. (2103); Sat. 8 a.m. (2203); Sun. 9 a.m. (2205)

— Northbound from Washington: Monday-Friday 7:50 p.m. (2128); Sat. 9:50 a.m. (2208); Sun. 7:50 p.m. (2228)

----------
Bob H

wxguy Jun 6, 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 29815244)
From another message board.....

Beginning this week, Amtrak will offer assigned first-class seating on one daily Acela Express in each direction between New York and Washington, and on one Saturday-only trip from New York to Boston.

Initially, the trains offering first class reserved seats are as follows:

— Northbound from New York: Saturday 8 a.m. (train number 2290)

— Southbound from New York: Monday-Friday 6 a.m. (2103); Sat. 8 a.m. (2203); Sun. 9 a.m. (2205)

— Northbound from Washington: Monday-Friday 7:50 p.m. (2128); Sat. 9:50 a.m. (2208); Sun. 7:50 p.m. (2228)

----------

Also 2190, the 6:15am northbound from NYP-BOS.

vatraveler Jun 19, 2018 5:30 am

Any firsthand experiences with this yet? I’ll finally be on a reserved Acela towards the end of this month. Will be using an upgrade and hope there are singles left.

wxguy Jun 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler (Post 29881797)
Any firsthand experiences with this yet? I’ll finally be on a reserved Acela towards the end of this month. Will be using an upgrade and hope there are singles left.

as far as I can tell, still only a few trains as noted upthread.

dougdd Jul 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Nice how Amtrak's irrational and backward "management" kicks its valued national system train customers to the curb.
Never, or rarely, any new equipment for the vital LD trains, which, in terms of geography, are the ones that serve a majority of Americans. They are Amtrak's "brand."

Not smart to dis-invest in 40% of the company's business. The important LD routes account for 40% of Amtrak's intercity passenger-miles and carry more seat miles than the NEC and state routes.

uppereastsider Aug 17, 2018 3:20 pm

I am taking the Sunday 5pm Acela Express 2255 Boston to NYP and was offered to choose a first class seat. Did they recently announce new rates are getting reservations? Really glad to choose a nice single and not fight everyone rushing from the club to get the last seat.

ibrandsguest Aug 17, 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by dougdd (Post 30002254)
Nice how Amtrak's irrational and backward "management" kicks its valued national system train customers to the curb.
Never, or rarely, any new equipment for the vital LD trains, which, in terms of geography, are the ones that serve a majority of Americans. They are Amtrak's "brand."

Not smart to dis-invest in 40% of the company's business. The important LD routes account for 40% of Amtrak's intercity passenger-miles and carry more seat miles than the NEC and state routes.

And LD routes in the East have brand-new dining cars and brand-new baggage cars and are getting brand-new sleeping cars.

BeantownFlyer Oct 2, 2018 1:40 pm

I received two updated itineraries today with assigned seats, both for long ago booked reservations. One is for travel Thanksgiving week (WAS-NYP), and the other December 21 (NYP-RTE). In both cases I was assigned a seat at the two top table nearest the bathroom, although most of the trainset was empty and I was able to easily select a different seat by pulling up the reservation. Hopefully this means that they are rolling out assigned seating on all Acela first class routes.

uppereastsider Oct 19, 2018 8:32 am

I've been getting reserved seating more and more.

This week I had assigned seating on the 2:50pm (and then switched to the 1:40pm) Tuesday Acela from WAS to NYP. And honestly, it felt like a clusterf*ck as people didn't realize there were assigned seats, leading to many people asking others to get up and people claiming that they got the seat first, unaware it was reserved.

While I like the convenience and get why this is happening, the rollout hasn't been executed well. I also would love to be able to preview a seat map before buying or switching trains, but that doesn't appear to be an option

AndyPatterson Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by uppereastsider (Post 30332511)
I've been getting reserved seating more and more.

This week I had assigned seating on the 2:50pm (and then switched to the 1:40pm) Tuesday Acela from WAS to NYP. And honestly, it felt like a clusterf*ck as people didn't realize there were assigned seats, leading to many people asking others to get up and people claiming that they got the seat first, unaware it was reserved.

While I like the convenience and get why this is happening, the rollout hasn't been executed well. I also would love to be able to preview a seat map before buying or switching trains, but that doesn't appear to be an option

Aren't the reserved seats marked in someway as "reserved" with a placard or other sign? If not, why not?

BeantownFlyer Oct 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Presumably because every seat is supposed to be reserved!