Crediting United Flights to AGR

Old May 24, 18, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Crediting United Flights to AGR

I'm trying to build up my Amtrak points balance and I noticed that you can credit United flights to Amtrak Guest rewards. Looks like it only awards 250 miles on my W fare, has anyone else had any experience with crediting flights to Amtrak?

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...ate=2017-08-01
Old May 28, 18, 3:44 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Doesn’t the United website page mean that if you book a United ticket that includes a segment that is an Amtrak train trip, you get United miles for that segment?
Old May 29, 18, 8:55 am
Original Poster

I didn't interpret it that way, it let me list my AGR number on a flight that didn't involve Amtrak.
Old May 29, 18, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the other hand, you have the AGR website which says:

When you fly United, take Amtrak to connect to or from Newark Liberty International Airport and either Philadelphia, Wilmington, Stamford or New Haven and earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points on the whole trip, including the flight.

Book your Amtrak segment when you book your flight with United at 1-800-UNITED-1 and provide your Amtrak Guest Rewards member number to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points for your flight. You will earn 1 point per mile traveled (a minimum of 500 points) plus a 25% point bonus for travel in United Business class and 50% bonus for travel in United First class, in addition to the points you earn for your Amtrak travel.
Old May 29, 18, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

I think what United is saying is how many UA miles you'll earn on a rail segment on a United ticket. IE booking in United J with an amtrak segment you'll earn 325 United miles for that amtrak segment, plus whatever you would normally earn on the flight.

When crediting a UA flight to Amtrak Guest Rewards, you'll earn 1 AGR per mile, with a 500 AGR point minimum.

This seems to be a fantastic avenue for accumulating AGR points, I'll be curious to see how this posts after the flight.
Old May 30, 18, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
This partnership has long been limited to a few NEC destinations around Newark (see the earlier thread/wiki), and does not apply to other flights. Yes, you can type your AGR number into a UA reservation, but I assure you that nothing will post unless it involves one of those few destinations.

The UA chart title clearly states "Mileage accrual chart for Amtrak-operated segments". The only "Amtrak-operated segments" that UA sells are those listed under the first bullet point: EWR to New Haven, Stamford, Philadelphia 30th St, Wilmington. For an example, see this flight search for ZFV-LAX (ZFV=Phila 30th).

The AGR site clearly states "POINTS ON QUALIFYING UNITED FLIGHTS" (emphasis added) and continues "take Amtrak to connect to or from Newark Liberty..."

Last edited by paytonc; May 31, 18 at 12:43 am
Old Jun 5, 18, 10:19 am
Original Poster

So I got 1 AGR point for every mile flown! 1,597 AGR points for my IAH-BOS flight with no Amtrak travel involved. Huge return on a $120 ticket.
GoAmtrak and diburning like this.

Search this Thread