GPS on Amtrak

Old May 17, 18, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

GPS on Amtrak

What GPS system do people here use when they travel on Amtrak?
Old May 17, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Not sure I undersrand this question, but I use the one on my cell phone. Doesn't everyone?
Old May 17, 18, 6:37 pm

If you're looking to see train speed, I just used whatever came up as free in the app store under speedometer. If you're phone is by the window you should be able to pick up GPS.

Used it a couple times out of curiosity, not something I do regularly. The sign in page for the on-board wifi now shows speed and position too.
Old May 17, 18, 7:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
I use a Garmin GPSMap 64s hand held GPS from their "On the Trail" series. Some phone/tablet apps work pretty good as well.
Old May 18, 18, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Coly Hope View Post
What GPS system do people here use when they travel on Amtrak?
Google Maps has worked well for me in the past. I like seeing some of the POIs as we pass them (and I like free). I've also used Waze, but it keeps snapping to close by roads and I laugh when it says: In 1000 feet, make a left turn. But where you're sitting will make a difference. Try for a southerly view and watch things go bonkers if you're climbing a cliff.
Old May 18, 18, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by ne52 View Post
If you're looking to see train speed, I just used whatever came up as free in the app store under speedometer. If you're phone is by the window you should be able to pick up GPS.

Used it a couple times out of curiosity, not something I do regularly. The sign in page for the on-board wifi now shows speed and position too.
You don't need a GPS to get speed -- just look out the window and time the distance between mileposts.

Bob H
Old May 18, 18, 2:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak, Marriott rewards, United, American
Motion x gps app is the best

the maps show the tracks wit details such as bridges and tunnels. You can download maps ahead of time so you can still track your trains progress when there is no cell service.

Search this Thread