Airport tickets?

Old Apr 21, 18, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Airport tickets?

Does Amtrak offer special train tickets for passengers connecting from a flight?

Example: I would like to fly from Canada to EWR and take a train to Baltimore (hoping to save money vs a flight to BWI). My incoming flight may be delayed, so booking a specific train is a gamble, while the fully flexible tickets are expensive.

I've seen nicely prices offers for such use cases in other countries. TNX
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
What you want to do is possible (when flying United) to a few stations, but not Baltimore: United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia)
Old Apr 22, 18, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acrollet View Post
What you want to do is possible (when flying United) to a few stations, but not Baltimore: United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia)
Thank you, I am aware of that. But that changes the airline ticket - sometimes for a better price, sometimes for far worse (in a specific example of mine, ZFV is a bit cheaper than EWR, while ZWI is about $500 five hundred more). The whole thing is limited to very few specific destinations.
Old Apr 22, 18, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

empty on purpose
Old Apr 22, 18, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is very uncommon in the US. Philadelphia (ZFW) is an exception to the rule because it allows UA to compete for the market from its EWR hub, just up the road. Baltimore is a short hop on commuter rail from WAS and you may want to look at fares through DCA as well.

Where in Canada?
Old Apr 23, 18, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
It is very uncommon in the US. Philadelphia (ZFW) is an exception to the rule because it allows UA to compete for the market from its EWR hub, just up the road. Baltimore is a short hop on commuter rail from WAS and you may want to look at fares through DCA as well.
Thank you, but My question is if *Amtrak* offers airport-tickets (not if some airline has some agreemt for some Amtrak line). I think it would bring Amtrak business they are currently missing out, with very limited cannibalisation of their current sales.

Where in Canada?
YYJ, in this case. But it could be another continent for that matter. :-)
Old Apr 23, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
Thank you, but My question is if *Amtrak* offers airport-tickets (not if some airline has some agreemt for some Amtrak line). I think it would bring Amtrak business they are currently missing out, with very limited cannibalisation of their current sales.
Oh they are definitely leaving money on the table. I think having a more comprehensive codesharing agreement with United, Jet Blue and Southwest would be a big win for them, as all 3 have major east coast hubs not far from the NEC.

BWI saw 26 million passengers last year, even getting 5% of those onto Amtrak trains would be a huge boost. Would also help bail out airlines during IRROPS.

As people pointed out, the UA codeshare sometimes results in significantly higher fares and the connection needs to be something like 5 hours at EWR.
Old Apr 25, 18, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
As people pointed out, the UA codeshare sometimes results in significantly higher fares and the connection needs to be something like 5 hours at EWR.
Not so. I booked on a few days ago with a 95 minute connection at EWR (arriving by air, continuin by train to ZFV - but I struggled to find an economical and reliable way to continue to Baltimore, so I cancelled within 24 hours).
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sokolov View Post
Not so. I booked on a few days ago with a 95 minute connection at EWR (arriving by air, continuin by train to ZFV - but I struggled to find an economical and reliable way to continue to Baltimore, so I cancelled within 24 hours).
Hmn, the one time I looked at it to go to Stamford CT it had a huge connection and was an extra $200, maybe because of the date.
Old Apr 26, 18, 11:16 am

For instance on 6/1, ORD-ZTF(Stamford CT) depart ORD at 6:05am, arriving EWR at 9:09am, they put my on a train at 1:09pm, gets into Stamford at 2:48pm, with a 4 hour connection at EWR. There is a 10:20am train that I can take from Newark to Stamford, but United won't put me on it.

Funny enough, the price is $161 with the amtrak leg to Stamford and United is selling the ORD-EWR flight for $191, basically creating a hidden city ticket with the Amtrak leg.
Old Apr 26, 18, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hi55us View Post
For instance on 6/1, ORD-ZTF(Stamford CT) depart ORD at 6:05am, arriving EWR at 9:09am, they put my on a train at 1:09pm, gets into Stamford at 2:48pm, with a 4 hour connection at EWR. There is a 10:20am train that I can take from Newark to Stamford, but United won't put me on it.

Funny enough, the price is $161 with the amtrak leg to Stamford and United is selling the ORD-EWR flight for $191, basically creating a hidden city ticket with the Amtrak leg.
Maybe the MCT is 90 minutes? Or maybe they don't have codeshares on all trains on that route.

In any case, the prices widely vary. For example, on a particular day in August, I could save hundreds by going to ZFV (instead of EWR), but it would be hundreds more to go to ZWI. Go figure.

In any case, I recommend going to the Amtrak station upon arrival in EWR and printing off the Amtrak ticket - even if something comes up and you end up not boarding the train.

Last edited by sokolov; Jun 11, 18 at 5:22 am

Search this Thread