Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dining choices Lake Shore and Capital Limited

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dining choices Lake Shore and Capital Limited

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Here's a simple question about NARP. If they did a study and it in fact honestly revealed that Amtrak needed to cancel a long distance train, would they ever release it?

I think we all know the answer is "no". That's why Antrak is in the train business and NARP is in the backseat driving business.
Look, I think that basically anyone who doesn't have their head buried in the sand, would admit that NARP is at least partially in bed with Amtrak. But that said, the study that I referenced was based upon numbers that Amtrak supplied to Congress. Numbers that were publicly available to anyone curious to go look at them. I for one did, along with many other people; including the GAO which didn't dispute them. And the numbers did indeed show that sleepers at that time covered their above the rails cost. That includes the attendant, the linens, the free coffee, free water, and back then free soda's too. It also covered the cost of their meals in the dining car. That is not to suggest that all those meals covered the cost of the dining car; because it didn't; but it did cover the costs of the meals that the sleeper pax ate. And considering the amount of the increase in sleeper fares since then; it's a pretty safe bet that they still cover their costs.

And after all that, there was still enough money left over to slightly reduce the cost per passenger mile of the railfares for everyone on board. In other words, without sleepers, the subsidy per passenger mile would have been slightly higher than it was with sleepers. We're not talking about a big number here, at least in passenger miles, it like a few hundredths of a penny. But still, it lowered the overall subsidy per pax mile for the LD trains.

I lost track of that paper a few years back when NARP revamped their website, but I'd bet its still up there someplace.
joanek and Armani like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
The new and 'improved' menu is available at

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/p...-Menu-0518.pdf

Quotes because the improvements speak for themselves !!!!

Bob H
Old May 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

So they decide to put these changes in a week after I travel on Amtrak. I've never been known for my good timing.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
As much as I hate to see this change it seems better to the Silver Star version of lounge car for everyone and by the way we will run out before we get to the end of the line.

It it is disappointing to see this type of cut, I’ll be curious to see what pictures of the actual meals look like. A long distance train without a dining car is not one I would be inclined to take particularly the farther West you go with longer routes.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zgscl

A long distance train without a dining car is not one I would be inclined to take particularly the farther West you go with longer routes.
The change from a dining car to boxed meals applies only to the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited. The western routes are not affected, as far as I have heard.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by serpens
The change from a dining car to boxed meals applies only to the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited. The western routes are not affected, as far as I have heard.
For now...

Hopefully it stays this way, but my fear is it will start rolling out to the other 1 night routes.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
For now...

Hopefully it stays this way, but my fear is it will start rolling out to the other 1 night routes.
I took the Cardinal to DC in early May, and the 'dining' car staff indicated that their dining options will also be changing in the near future. I've had very mixed meal experiences on the Cardinal depending on who was working that train, so a boxed meal may be an improvement. The best meal we had on our trip was my wife's Quinoa salad at lunch.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The Cardinal's diner has been a hit-or-miss experience, both for food and service. A boxed meal could be an improvement.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serpens
The Cardinal's diner has been a hit-or-miss experience, both for food and service. A boxed meal could be an improvement.
Yea, I have ridden that a lot and its a route prone to issues because its a more limited kitchen and frankly it seems like whatever they use to heat meals is highly unreliable. I would love a beef tenderloin salad in lieu of most of my Cardinal dinners. I do agree with an earlier poster that having this sort of gourmet boxed meal and a drink is much more preferable than the nothing option on the Silver Star
Armani likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:37 pm

Just got off the Builder. Crew mentioned that corporate is looking at doing boxed meals system wide and encouraged us to write in and share our thoughts which I intend to do, not that it will have much impact.

A table mate rode on the Capital Limited. They reported dinner was basically 3 different pitiful salads and breakfast was continental breakfast high in sugar. Would like to see pictures from anyone who had risen on the Cap or Lake Shore
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Would like to see pictures from anyone who had risen on the Cap or Lake Shore
Pictures seem hard to come by, but here are two. (I believe they are Amtrak advertising pictures.)

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL - Page 55 - Amtrak Rail Discussion - Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL - Page 62 - Amtrak Rail Discussion - Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Photos and nutrition facts are at:
http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com (click LSL)

In other dining news, the cafe menus have been updated on the Northeast Corridor; a similar menu is also now available on the Cap Limited and LSL.
http://blog.amtrak.com/2018/06/new-corridor-cafe-menu/

Last edited by paytonc; Jun 17, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
Here's a simple question about NARP. If they did a study and it in fact honestly revealed that Amtrak needed to cancel a long distance train, would they ever release it?

I think we all know the answer is "no". That's why Antrak is in the train business and NARP is in the backseat driving business.
I'd trust NARP over any forum poster.
They have the expertise, not someone claiming the trains are "money losers" and how yucky COLD BOXED LUNCHES are "the future" of passenger rail.

A long distance train without a dining car is not one I would be inclined to take particularly the farther West you go with longer routes.
I believe that's Airline Anderson's aim... to discourage people from traveling by train.

There's no justification for cancelling ANY LD routes.
The 15 LD routes do well.

LD ridership is at an all-time high, which means Amtrak has, albeit slowly, reversed the decline in passenger train travel that was occurring in the 1950s and 1960s.

It's amazing the valuable LD routes even survive today.
Think about it.

Amtrak never markets them (or hasn't in 30-40 years).
Amtrak never improves or upgrades them through needed new equipment, new routes, new connections.
You know, the things that successful businesses do, ones that want to better serve their customers and improve their business.

What kind of business keeps things static for DECADES?

The NARP is not a trustworthy organization.

There is plenty of evidence that long distance sleepers are tremendously unprofitable, at least when coupled with free meals in a traditional diner. Now granted it is circumstantial, but it exists. The evidence includes how railroads cut costs in the 1960's, Via Rail Canada's price points, and Amtrak's own actions in what they are trying to cut.

What NARP wants to do is use Hollywood style accounting. They want to misallocate overhead so it gets charged to Acela rather than long distance trains, and use a "passenger mile" measure which favors long distance routes.

Amtrak operates in the real world. In the real world, long distance food and beverage is a huge drain because it involves both ridiculously high logistical costs and high labor costs. And sleepers lose more than coach because the fares don't cover the higher lsbor costs of sleeping car attendants and the additional space.

So as I said, the future is that if we want long distance trains, they can't follow the traditional model. This is a step forward.
I wouldn't so easily swallow Amtrak's numbers.
After all, an article in a rail industry publication years ago analyzed "allocated costs."
In the Southwest Chief, there was a "Penn Station charge."
What?
How in Hades would the SW Chief have any connection to Penn Station?

Amtrak's deceptive answer was, "well, a SW Chief passenger could ride to Penn Station....

Using that faulty logic, one could claim an Acela traveler could use Lamy, NM, or Havre, MT. Right?

I therefore suggest all accounting of the NEC include every.single.LD.route. stations.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 23, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: united
1. The obvious reason Amtrak has done little to improve LD routes is that they have the real numbers and know that increasing ridership would increase Amtrak's losses, not improve its bottom line.

2. I am not vouching for numbers Amtrak puts out to the public. They might be wrong for all sorts of reasons. I am saying that Amtrak, INTERNALLY, knows the real numbers, and when Amtrak makes a business decision the NARP disagrees with (such as cutting meal service on 1 overnight LD trains), that is usually going to be because the Amtrak decisionmakers have to use real numbers whereas the NARP is an advocacy organization that uses all sorts of accounting tricks to further the goals of its membership, which includes a ton of people who love LD trains and want them to be luxurious.

3. Rest in peace AlanB. He was a great moderator.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm thinking about doing a trip on the Lake Shore Limited in a sleeper. I have a few questions about this new dining change.

How many meals are served on the Lake Shore Limited between Boston and Chicago? It departs at ~1PM. Do they serve lunch? I'm assuming that they serve dinner. Do they serve breakfast since the arrival into Chicago is in the morning?

What does the amenity kit look like, and what does it contain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.