New Here - Amtrak Points Question!

Old Apr 19, 18, 10:54 am
Original Poster

New Here - Amtrak Points Question!

Hello all,

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been asked, but a lot of Google searching got me nowhere.

I'm planning a family trip from Cleveland to D.C. this summer, round trip on Amtrak. Late July.

I've priced tickets on the Capitol Limited and got $512 for 4 adult tickets. I was

Today I got an email from Amtrak saying I can purchase Guest Rewards points at a 10-30% discount, depending on how many I purchase.

Would it come out cheaper for me to buy points to pay for the tickets or no?
Old Apr 19, 18, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL
You’ll have to answer your own question by checking the point prices of the seats you wanted. Point prices are variable according to the price of the tickets available. This is easy to do on Amtrak’s website: there is a toggle switch that you use to check the price of a train in points vs. dollars.
Old Apr 19, 18, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478 View Post
You’ll have to answer your own question by checking the point prices of the seats you wanted. Point prices are variable according to the price of the tickets available. This is easy to do on Amtrak’s website: there is a toggle switch that you use to check the price of a train in points vs. dollars.
That worked, thank you! I was looking at the site on my phone, so I didn't see that option. I had to look at on my PC.

It said almost 20,000 points for that trip, which would cost $582. $70 more than paying cash! What would be the point of buying points then??
Old Apr 19, 18, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by RedHairedLady View Post
It said almost 20,000 points for that trip, which would cost $582. $70 more than paying cash! What would be the point of buying points then??
Buying points is almost never a good idea, for airlines or Amtrak. If you need a tiny amount of points to top off an account so that you can buy a ticket, maybe, but even then the calculation is usually loss-making.
Old Apr 19, 18, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That worked, thank you! I was looking at the site on my phone, so I didn't see that option. I had to look at on my PC.

The rush after getting the points at a 10%-30% discount, of course!
hi55us likes this.
Old Apr 21, 18, 3:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive

Buying points is almost always much more advantageous to the seller than the buyer. This is why airlines and amtrak love to sell you points and constantly offer "special deals" to do so!
jackal likes this.

Search this Thread