Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No standby on Amtrak: only solution to book multiple tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I have an upcoming trip on Amtrak, on the Northeast Corridor. It looks like I may need to head back earlier than planned, although I'm not sure yet.

I see that Amtrak doesn't allow standby (i.e., taking an earlier or later train on the same day), either for free or by paying a standby charge.

I also see that ticket prices on Amtrak are going up as the day of my trip approaches.

So is the only solution in this case to just book multiple tickets as soon as possible, before prices get out of hand, for each train I might want to take?

If so, isn't this crazy? Doesn't it deprive Amtrak of revenue, since I'd be buying multiple tickets and cancelling them, perhaps at times too late to sell the seat again? If so, what is Amtrak's logic--is Amtrak just guessing that people will just cancel their original tickets and buy new tickets just before boarding, when prices are high?

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Watch out for cancellation/ change fees.

Bob H
Old Apr 9, 2018, 7:47 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
My guess is that enough people still buy walk-up fares on Amtrak and/or the pricing differential is high enough between their least and most desirable trains that Amtrak wants to preserve the last-minute pricing on reserved trains.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If so, isn't this crazy? Doesn't it deprive Amtrak of revenue, since I'd be buying multiple tickets and cancelling them, perhaps at times too late to sell the seat again?
This might be why they recently added cancellation fees.

Additionally, you are not allowed to book multiple tickets for the same day (theoretically... it's an honor system unless someone notices, apparently).

"Duplicate and impossible bookings are prohibited.

Duplicate bookings include, but are not limited to, reservations on multiple trains by the same passenger on the same day between the same or similar cities on one or more itineraries, such as booking the 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm Acela Express trains between New York and Philadelphia."
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:11 pm

It isn't entirely an honor system. While you can book it, my understanding is there is a batch process that automatically cancels duplicate reservations. So you could book it and then find out the next day it was auto-cancelled.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by zephyr17
It isn't entirely an honor system. While you can book it, my understanding is there is a batch process that automatically cancels duplicate reservations. So you could book it and then find out the next day it was auto-cancelled.
I don't book them often but I've never had one cancelled.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by musicalbox
I don't book them often but I've never had one cancelled.
probably depends on how "smart" their dupe logic is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.