FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Amtrak sleeperette (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1902160-amtrak-sleeperette.html)

jlc668 Apr 3, 2018 7:31 pm

Amtrak sleeperette

New to Amtrak and considering purchasing a sleeperette ticket. I see they have two beds. If I am traveling solo can I hyperthetically invite another passenger with a regular ticket to my sleeperette?

SCEflyer Apr 3, 2018 10:26 pm

Hypothetically, you would be confronting two obstacles. The attendant who services the ROOMETTE might not appreciate having to make up a second bed for a non-first class customer, but a gratuity of $20.00 or so might obtain his cooperation. However, you also need to be concerned about one of the conductors discovering this double-occupancy in a room with only one FC revenue passenger. He would be within his authority to cause your companion to do a perp walk back to coach, demand that this individual pay the fare differential on the spot, in cash, or remove one or both of you from the train, at the next station stop, regardless of its remoteness.

Also, have you ever seen a single room? It is extremely tight for one person; in my opinion two would be torture.

TribalistMeathead Apr 4, 2018 12:37 pm

If it's someone you're traveling with, best to just work it out with Amtrak. Roomettes are priced per room, not per passenger, so it shouldn't cost more. But it's best to let Amtrak know.

If you think you're going to, er, make a single-serving friend on a train, it's probably not going to happen. Making the beast with two backs in one of those bunks sounds horrid.

ambyr Apr 4, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SCEflyer (Post 29600115)
However, you also need to be concerned about one of the conductors discovering this double-occupancy in a room with only one FC revenue passenger. He would be within his authority to cause your companion to do a perp walk back to coach, demand that this individual pay the fare differential on the spot, in cash, or remove one or both of you from the train, at the next station stop, regardless of its remoteness..

There is no fare differential. As noted above, roomettes are priced per room. If you book a roomette for two, the cost for the second person is equal to the cost of a coach ticket.

jackal Apr 4, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ambyr (Post 29602537)

There is no fare differential. As noted above, roomettes are priced per room. If you book a roomette for two, the cost for the second person is equal to the cost of a coach ticket.

And possibly less, since the underlying base fare for a person in sleeper accommodations is always the lowest bucket, so it's potentially cheaper than the fare bucket the coach ticket was sold in.

However, there is also the chance that modifying the room reservation may cause the room fare to be bumped up to a higher bucket if the fare bucket the room was originally sold in is no longer available.

Either way, calling Amtrak and asking to add a passenger to your room reservation will tell you what the cost (or refund) due is, and you can make the decision at that time.

zephyr17 Apr 4, 2018 12:52 pm

If you are planning to invite someone in advance, call Amtrak and arrange for an "Open Sleeper" ticket for that person. It doesn't cost any more, as already mentioned, the cost is for the room not per person, and the other occupant only pays the rail ("coach") fare. That puts the person on the sleeper manifest, entitling them to meals, etc, that are part of the sleeper passenger amenities.

If you are getting lucky on board, well, that is a whole different matter...