Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Revised Cancellation and Refund Policy eff 3/20/2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revised Cancellation and Refund Policy eff 3/20/2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:52 am

What happens if you make a change and the new fare is lower? Do you get the full difference back on an eVoucher or is there a penalty?

I ask because I am busy "exchanging" my booked Saver trips for the sale Amtrak is running right now, which yields me $7 per trip but adds up when you have 10 or 15 fares booked that qualify. Will they in future take a percentage of that as a penalty?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well lets face it. Amtrak is trying to get rid of people who book multiple reservations because they don't know what their plans are. Based on what I've read from whats been posted so far on this forum, many of you are doing this. I've myself run into situations where I can't get a reservation on a specific train and then BAM, it completely opens up 1/2 hours before departure time because of mass cancelations from people holding reservations for "just in case."

I'm no bean counter, but I'm guessing Amtrak is loosing a pretty penny because of multiple bookings and canceling without a financial impunity.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought Amtrak already prohibited "impossible bookings" like two one-way trips without time for a return, which is what it sounds like you're describing. If so, then what you're saying is that it's easier to be draconian to everyone than to have the software enforce existing policy.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:33 am

I have heard the thing about impossible bookings but it has never been the case for me that the software prohibited me from booking something that would qualify, although I haven't done it very often. I always wondered why the system allowed something that was prohibited.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by musicalbox
I have heard the thing about impossible bookings but it has never been the case for me that the software prohibited me from booking something that would qualify, although I haven't done it very often. I always wondered why the system allowed something that was prohibited.
I think it's because there's no validation at the time of booking to see whether it's an impossible booking, and the system on the back end that does periodic sweeps (I think it's once a day in the early morning) probably isn't very advanced. I wouldn't be surprised if it only looked at train numbers and dates/time to see if a booking was impossible; maybe it also looks at the exact origination/departure points and see if that overlaps, but I doubt it's advanced enough to be able to tell that a 1400 - 1730 trip WAS - NYP overlaps the 1500 - 1815 trip WAS - NWK or that it'd be impossible to do a 1400 - 1730 trip WAS - NYP and then an 1800 - 2130 trip WAS - NYP since the times don't overlap.

(Times are a rough example, not based on any research into the timetable.)
musicalbox likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by musicalbox
What happens if you make a change and the new fare is lower? Do you get the full difference back on an eVoucher or is there a penalty?
It looks like you can either get a refund with penalty (eg 25% on Value tickets within 8 days) or you can receive full credit on an eVoucher.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
It is rather annoying that the one-hour rule is still not clearly stated on the website.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA
For those of you with the Amtrak card... Amtrak cancellation fee is 10% of the points redeemed, but you get 5% of the points back on any redemption with the Amtrak card. Does that make the cancellation fee effectively 5%?
Old May 15, 2018, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
For those of you with the Amtrak card... Amtrak cancellation fee is 10% of the points redeemed, but you get 5% of the points back on any redemption with the Amtrak card. Does that make the cancellation fee effectively 5%?
Unfortunately no. I have the credit card, and I recently cancelled a reward booking. The point rebate disappeared right away. (I don't even see the rebate and then a reversal. It's just as if the rebate was never given in the first place.)
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Two cents here -- understand the abuse by tour operators in booking/hoarding space. That should definitely be penalized.

However, in regards to Amtrak's only profitable line, the Northeast Corridor, the change fees negatively impact their riders in an already highly competitive market. We know that Amtrak combats directly with the airlines for travel between key NE cities, BOS, NYC, PHL, WAS. In fact, they have corporate reps who have incentive programs for companies that spend over $100k in travel within this region alone.

One incredible competitive advantage to Amtrak that our teams utilize is the ability to book, adjust, or cancel reservations last minute. With these new cancellation fees and penalties, there is no longer an incentive to book Amtrak over the airlines -- it's often easier for me to standby or use status to adjust my airline booking.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak, AA, USA, DL, UA, MW, SWA, MW, AirTran, Priority Club, Marriott, Hilton, Chc Prvlgs, BW
Originally Posted by luggagebin
Two cents here -- understand the abuse by tour operators in booking/hoarding space. That should definitely be penalized.

However, in regards to Amtrak's only profitable line, the Northeast Corridor, the change fees negatively impact their riders in an already highly competitive market. We know that Amtrak combats directly with the airlines for travel between key NE cities, BOS, NYC, PHL, WAS. In fact, they have corporate reps who have incentive programs for companies that spend over $100k in travel within this region alone.

One incredible competitive advantage to Amtrak that our teams utilize is the ability to book, adjust, or cancel reservations last minute. With these new cancellation fees and penalties, there is no longer an incentive to book Amtrak over the airlines -- it's often easier for me to standby or use status to adjust my airline booking.
It's not settled "fact" that the NEC is "profitable."
An Amtrak p.r. official once called the NEC "marginally profitable."

If the NEC is "profitable," why does it require a federal appropriation?

The infrastructure needs are astronomical, in the trillions of dollars.
There's no way the NEC could be "self supporting" if all costs are included.

Yes, we should calculate ALL costs of the NEC.
That's what Amtrak's bean counters do to the LDs. All costs are thrown at them to make them appear financially negative.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dougdd
It's not settled "fact" that the NEC is "profitable."
An Amtrak p.r. official once called the NEC "marginally profitable."

If the NEC is "profitable," why does it require a federal appropriation?

The infrastructure needs are astronomical, in the trillions of dollars.
There's no way the NEC could be "self supporting" if all costs are included.

Yes, we should calculate ALL costs of the NEC.
That's what Amtrak's bean counters do to the LDs. All costs are thrown at them to make them appear financially negative.
Well, we could go by what some guy once said, or we could look at Amtrak's latest published monthly financial report (from May, figures are YTD):
  • On Operating Revenue alone (excluding capital expenses; this is also the basis of the "Farebox Recovery Ratio", the NEC overall earned $366.8M profit on $884.2M of revenue. By this metric, both the Acela and the Regional are "profitable", but the Acela is far more profitable than the regional (FRR of 212% vs 147%).
  • In comparison, the State Supported lines had a net operating loss of $70.7M, while the Long Distance lines had a net operating loss of $406.6M.
YTD, there have been $455M of capital expenditures on the NEC. Ignoring debt service and assuming it wasn't subsidizing the national network, the NEC could actually pay most (but not all) of its current capital expenditures from operating revenue. This is (unsurprisingly) fundamentally different than the national network, which can't even meet its own operating costs.

But all of this is irrelevant to luggagebin's main point: change fees are a disincentive to book Amtrak over the airlines, in particular for business travelers and especially those with airline elite status. Will it be enough to reduce ridership on the NEC? Maybe, maybe not... there are still other reasons why the train might be preferable (less prone to weather disruption, more convenient terminals, more "work time" in transit, etc).
jackal likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Just curious now that this new policy has been in effect for a while.... Have people been able to Change (rather than Cancel) a ticket for a trip that you basically have to cancel by making the change for an arbitrary future date (thereby husbanding the full value of the original ticket, rather than 75% of it), and then changing that new ticket to something else once real plans become clearer?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
I was able to do something fairly similar the other day, noticed a price decrease on the fare for an upcoming BOS-PVD ticket, changed the reservation to 65 (which was the same price) got issued an eVoucher for the difference and then changed the reservation back to 175 at the reduced rate.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Just curious now that this new policy has been in effect for a while.... Have people been able to Change (rather than Cancel) a ticket for a trip that you basically have to cancel by making the change for an arbitrary future date (thereby husbanding the full value of the original ticket, rather than 75% of it), and then changing that new ticket to something else once real plans become clearer?
Yep, that's what I've been doing. More work for Amtrak because sometimes if it's not the same direction or city pair I have to call in to make the change rather than doing it all online as I did previously with an evoucher but \_(ツ)_/Ż.
Biggie Fries likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.