NEC Suspension 3/2/18

Old Mar 2, 18, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

NEC Suspension 3/2/18

If a tree on the NEC falls does anyone hear it?

Notification issued 3/2/18 at 1:36 PM. Update: Due to downed trees, Amtrak service is now suspended between Boston and Washington DC in both directions. For more information, please visit www.amtrak.com.

New Haven Line Customers
Delays Posted: 03/02/2018 1:52PM

New Haven Line Customers should anticipate delays due to single tracking between Old Greenwich and Cob Cob as a result of fallen trees on the track in the vicinity of Riverside. Please listen for announcements at your station.
Old Mar 2, 18, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA-G, B6, DL, SW, SPG-P, AGR-S
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
If a tree on the NEC falls does anyone hear it?

Notification issued 3/2/18 at 1:36 PM. Update: Due to downed trees, Amtrak service is now suspended between Boston and Washington DC in both directions. For more information, please visit www.amtrak.com.

New Haven Line Customers
Delays Posted: 03/02/2018 1:52PM

New Haven Line Customers should anticipate delays due to single tracking between Old Greenwich and Cob Cob as a result of fallen trees on the track in the vicinity of Riverside. Please listen for announcements at your station.
I am/was booked as a roundtrip Business fare on Northeast Regional this weekend (KIN-BOS). My outbound train for tomorrow was cancelled. My return train isn't until Sunday evening.
I am unable to make any modifications to my ticket either online or in-app. Everything on the website and my notification email is indicating to call in to make changes/request refunds. I would prefer to get some sleep rather than sit on hold right now.

My alternate plan is to replace my inbound train tomorrow with MBTA from PVD, but keep my Amtrak ticket for the return.

1) If I take no immediate action, will the funds for my cancelled train segment be automatically refunded to my card, and will my return train segment still be valid for use?
2) Instead of calling in and sitting on hold, can I take care of this at the PVD ticket counter instead?

1. I can't getWill my return trip still be viable
Old Mar 3, 18, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by ImprovGal View Post
1) If I take no immediate action, will the funds for my cancelled train segment be automatically refunded to my card, and will my return train segment still be valid for use?
Hard to say. Someone asked a question about automatically refunding on Twitter and got no response (it's a reply to this tweet):

2) Instead of calling in and sitting on hold, can I take care of this at the PVD ticket counter instead?
Yes, and if the phone hold times are still excessive, that is likely the best option.

1. I can't getWill my return trip still be viable
I'd expect so, though I don't know how bad the situation is and how long recovery and cleanup will take. There may be some residual delays and perhaps even cancellations, though they have today to get everything in position for tomorrow. The biggest thing is making sure your return ticket isn't automatically canceled, so I would talk with either the phone line or the PVD ticket counter sooner rather than later.
Old Mar 3, 18, 5:28 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Update just posted to Twitter:

Conspicuously absent is any mention of BOS-originating trains...so definitely give Amtrak a call or talk to a ticket agent.
Old Mar 6, 18, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA-G, B6, DL, SW, SPG-P, AGR-S
Followup: I woke up early Saturday morning and was able to get through on the Select line with only about a 20 minute wait. I was able to move my departure to the following day while leaving my return ticket intact. I ended up driving into Boston and back on Saturday, rather than deal with a most-likely overcrowded MBTA train.

Search this Thread