FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   Peace, quiet and a window seat on Acela: likely from Stamford-Boston? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1889702-peace-quiet-window-seat-acela-likely-stamford-boston.html)

ibrandsguest Jan 21, 2018 6:23 pm

Peace, quiet and a window seat on Acela: likely from Stamford-Boston?

I have a NYC-Boston trip coming up. I don't care for Penn Station and would happily take Metro-North from Grand Central, and change to the Acela Express at Stamford.

If I get on at Stamford, are my chances of peace, quiet and a window seat much less likely than if I board at NY Penn? I am fine with the quiet car but would go first class if that's what it takes.

I'd be on the Acela Express leaving NYP at around 1pm on a Friday in April, or Stamford at 1:48pm.

Thanks.

rafkeduck Jan 21, 2018 7:23 pm

No experience with boarding at Stamford.

However, I do have non-quiet experiences in first class (phone calls, in-person conversations), or trips were all window/single seats were taken.

dicksboat Jan 22, 2018 8:28 am

I have boarded that Acela many times in the past from Stamford to Boston. Your chances of a window seat are slim boarding at Stamford. However, the mid day Acela is probably your best opportunity. At Stamford, the Acela pauses briefly for the few boarding there. Move quickly to the platform when announced. There are some snack/food options at the station . The major turnover at NYP is the best way too score a window seat. Going FC would allow you to use the NYP Club Acela where the gate should be announced before the general station announcement, giving you time to be at the head of the line. Ask the Club Acela attendant which end of the train the FC car is on. That will save you time when you get to the platform. As stated above, FC isn't necessarily quiet.

physioprof Jan 22, 2018 5:07 pm

IMO, it is totally not worth the additional time and effort to take Metro North to Stamford to transfer to the Acela to Boston. And if you get on at NYP, you can guarantee yourself a window seat by asking for a Red Cap to board you (give him or her a five dollar tip), which means you board before everyone who is waiting in line. First class is definitely worth it if you don't mind paying the extra, and it means if you board early with Red Cap you'll definitely be able to get one of the single seats so you'll have window *and* aisle, and no one next to you.

hi55us Jan 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Been doing this trip for years, including on 2158/2160 (the 12:00 and 1:00 departure). Get on at NYP, board from the lower level if you're in business and board from the lounge if you're in first. You'll be able to beat the crowds queuing up on the upper level and get any seat you want.

Riding Metro North has a number of problems. They could get delayed out of Grand Central and then you're SOL with your Acela ticket. I also am not a fan of the Stamford station in the winter time, platforms are really exposed to the elements and the boarding announcements where not clear the last time I boarded a train there.

757FO Jan 24, 2018 9:16 am

I'm afraid a window seat may be hard to come by, boarding at Stamford, as for peace and quiet, there is a quiet car, which tends to be crowded, but at least no pretentious, loud cell calls to deal with.

Pretzelsandpeanuts Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Not many people get on or off at Stamford so there isn’t a lot of a turnover of seats. I would follow the advice of the poster above and just use a Red Cap at NYP

ibrandsguest Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks very much, everyone. I will get on at NYP, thanks to this advice.

wordsmith Apr 15, 2018 5:16 pm

I will be traveling STM to BOS this week in F on the 2168. What are the chances of me grabbing a single seat? I've ridden south many times from STM and NYP and had no problems getting one but unsure about traveling north after NYP.

physioprof Apr 16, 2018 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by wordsmith (Post 29644074)
I will be traveling STM to BOS this week in F on the 2168. What are the chances of me grabbing a single seat? I've ridden south many times from STM and NYP and had no problems getting one but unsure about traveling north after NYP.

2168 departs NYC at 5PM, which is a popular time. Likelihood is not great to get a single seat in STM, but earlier in the week the better. If the Friday train, likelihood is near zero.

ibrandsguest Apr 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful feedback.

I'm taking the Acela in first class tomorrow from NY Penn Station. All I want is a single seat- riding backwards is fine if that happens.

To be sure I get my single seat, it looks like I'll need to board from the lounge. Could anyone please let me know when boarding from the lounge occurs? If the train is at 1:03, what time should I get to the lounge to be sure to board from the lounge?

I'd just as gladly board from the lower level of NYP and skip the lounge, but I just really want a single seat.

Thanks!

AlanB Apr 19, 2018 9:10 pm

15 to 20 minutes before should be enough. The lounge only announces the train about 4 to 5 minutes before it goes up on the boards outside the lounge and that usually happens 10 minutes before departure. Which means if you hustle, you can usually be at the head of the line at the gate. Of course, at that point you'd also know the track number so you could try slipping down to the lower level too.